New tank questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buford2k

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I setup a 20gal about a month ago. Added fish last week and everything was fine until a day or 2 ago. The tank seems to be collecting what looks like "cotton" on everything. Getting on Plants, Gravel, Filter, ect.
Am I over feeding the fish or what else could cause this?

Also I want to do a Water change. For this I need to remove about 20% of the water and replace it. What do I need to do to make the tap water safe. I am guessing that I should not put the tap water strait into the tank.

It all depends on what you did to the tank. Are the plants real or fake? what are you feeding your fish? what kind and how many fish did you put into your tank? Have you bought a water test kit to test the parameters?
For the water change, i'd suggest getting something like tetra aqua-safe. Its a liquid that is a water conditioner that takes the chlorine/harmful metals out of the water. Dosage is 1 teaspoon per 10 gallons I believe.

Welcome to AA :smilecolros: :n00b:

What kind of filtration do you have, what kind and how many fish, do you have.

Sounds like you are having an algae spike in your tank. Yes you need to do a water change. 30% every day until it is gone. Tap water needs to be treated with dechlorinator before putting it in the tank. If you can get a python syphon gravel vec. It will make things alot easier. HTH

stewie said:
It all depends on what you did to the tank. Are the plants real or fake? what are you feeding your fish? what kind and how many fish did you put into your tank? Have you bought a water test kit to test the parameters?
For the water change, i'd suggest getting something like tetra aqua-safe. Its a liquid that is a water conditioner that takes the chlorine/harmful metals out of the water. Dosage is 1 teaspoon per 10 gallons I believe.

Fake Plants
Omega One fish Flakes
6 Fish. 4 Tetras. 2 Mollies.
I have been using Mardel Test Strips about every 3 days. That seems to be ok. ammonia has gone up a little. that is why I want to do the Water change.

xray said:
Welcome to AA

What kind of filtration do you have, what kind and how many fish, do you have.

Sounds like you are having an algae spike in your tank. Yes you need to do a water change. 30% every day until it is gone. Tap water needs to be treated with dechlorinator before putting it in the tank. If you can get a python syphon gravel vec. It will make things alot easier. HTH

Top Fin power Filter with one of the replacable filter bags.
6 Fish. 4 Tetras. 2 Mollies.

What is this Python device you speak of? Is it used to clean only or can I use it to do the water change.

the Python is a gravel vac cleaning system. It siphons the water out of the tank as well as siphoning the fish poop/waste out of the gravel without taking the gravel out of the tank.
just doing a quick search, here is the first place that came up with it online. You should get the idea from the pic. http://www.petluvers.com/pythonnospillcleanandfillcleaningsystem.html

I would suggest doing water changes as xray recommended maybe cut back on the feeding a little bit Or maybe your filter isn't doing a good enough job.

Also, you should invest in a Master Test kit. The strips are not as accurate. In regards to the Python, you hook it up to a garden hose or kitchen sink and turn the water on and it will start a suction and pull water from the tank. Then you can re-fill the tank from the hose straight from the faucet. This way you can make sure the temp is perfect and you can refill without altering the temp of the tank.

You've heard most of the advice you need so far. The only thing I would add is that I recently bought a whole aquarium starter kit from Petsmart, which included a TopFin filter. I hated it, seemed like it was doing a lousy job. So I went out and spent $25 or whatever for an AquaClear filter and have never looked back. It is quiter than the TopFin, seems to do a much better job filtering, and is customizable--so if down the road you decide (for example) you want to filter your water through peat to lower the pH, you can do that, no problems. It is also easier to do things like remove your activated carbon if you need to (e.g. if you are dosing your tank with medicine because of a disease outbreak).

That being said, poor filtration is not the *cause* of your problems, but likely an algae outbreak of some sort due to there being too many nutrients in your system. I didn't remember you saying how much you feed, but for now I would feed once per day, as much as they can eat in 2-3 minutes. Combine that with daily water changes and you should be on the road to recovery.

Even though the test strips are not the most accurate, if you can post concrete numbers for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate, that would help.

I am definitely picking up the Python tonite. I'll do another strip test tonite and post what the results are.
I wish I had it on the original setup. Would have saved me a few trips back and forth. :lol:
So once I clean the tanks and do the water change I would just add the tetra aqua-safe. Do I need to put the water in a bucket first and add it or can I add the water to the tank and add the dechlorinator to the tank?

We used to fill buckets with the python and then dechlor then dump in. Now, we just pump in the water and add dechlor as it's being added. I have yet to lose any fish.

well if the ammonia is not at zero then your tank has finished cycling.so keep an eye on the water params.you can get a master test kit for freshwater for about $25 at pets mart.

The tank is in a area that gets some sunlight. Should I get a different/more powerful filter?
The Ammonia was not at 0 last I checked. I'll have to check after work to see the exact figure.

Back
Top Bottom