new tank setup and tips are needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcran4

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys I am starting a new 20 gal high tank. I have had water in there for about 5 days now. I added bacteria and water conditioner and have had the filter, light, and heater on too. Any recommendations to do from here would be greatly appreciated! :thanks:

Your New Tank

Hey guys I am starting a new 20 gal high tank. I have had water in there for about 5 days now. I added bacteria and water conditioner and have had the filter, light, and heater on too. Any recommendations to do from here would be greatly appreciated! :thanks:

Hello M...

I would recommend getting some activity going with some fish, since that's the main reason for having an aquarium. You can start the cycling process by adding a half dozen small fish to get the good bacteria growing. If you like "Livebearers", then Guppies and Platys are hardy. If you prefer "Egglayers", then Zebra Danios and Rosy Barbs will easily survive the cycling process.

You'll need the particulars before starting, so just ask.

B

BBradbury said:
Hello M...

I would recommend getting some activity going with some fish, since that's the main reason for having an aquarium. You can start the cycling process by adding a half dozen small fish to get the good bacteria growing. If you like "Livebearers", then Guppies and Platys are hardy. If you prefer "Egglayers", then Zebra Danios and Rosy Barbs will easily survive the cycling process.

You'll need the particulars before starting, so just ask.

B

I consider rosy barbs a little too big
I recommend a fishless cycle as you are less likely to lose fish and it is not as work intensive

new Tank Setup

I consider rosy barbs a little too big
I recommend a fishless cycle as you are less likely to lose fish and it is not as work intensive

Hello e...

You're right about the eventual size of the Rosy Barbs, but they do acclaimate well to small tanks and a combination of half a dozen of the "Egglayers" I mentioned, granted young Rosy Barbs, would work well if you were to use them to cycle a tank.

Actually, the fish-in cycle method is very efficient and if you carefully monitor the water chemistry daily and do the recommended water changes, the fish are fine.

(Good catch on my Rosy Barb statement, though!)

B

The work behind a fish-in cycle is kind of a myth. Fish-in cycling, if done correctly, is actually less work than a fishless cycle. The fish-in cycles that take a lot of work are most often the ones that are done with heavily stocked/ small volume tanks.

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys. I think Im gonna go with the fishless cycle. I was thinking about adding a few live plants in the tank, is this too soon or should i wait longer?

More plants, the better!! Add them anytime you want feel like it- they can help with your cycle as well. :)

Mcran4 said:
Thanks for the suggestions so far guys. I think Im gonna go with the fishless cycle. I was thinking about adding a few live plants in the tank, is this too soon or should i wait longer?

What is your ammonia source going to be?
I would suggest using ace hardware janitorial ammonia.

It's actually a lot easier than a fish in cycle. Less water changes. And you don't have to worry about the possibility of killing any fish.

Here is a calculator you will need to use do you know how much ammonia to add.

Good luck http://www.fishforums.net/aquarium-calculator.htm

Back
Top Bottom