new tank setup, how to use tank w/ overflow for fw?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mcliffy2

Aquarium Advice Newbie
A few years ago I had a 58g african tank, but was forced to give it up when I moved, and now I'm looking to get back into the hobby. I found a tank I really like, but the problem is it is set up with an overflow for saltwater. I just want to get a big Eheim canister, but is this possible with an overflow? I don't want to have to do a bunch of plumbing, mainly because I am worried about liability if there is a leak. I live in a high rise condo, and our insurance doesn't cover "water furniture." Obviously a tank is a risk, but I want to minimize the risk, and I don't think doing plumbing myself will help. If anyone can give me advice on how I might use a tank w/ overflow for africans, it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
- Mike

ps I emailed the tank seller and he said something about using PVC and bulk heads, which sounded like it was a make-shift solution, but then again, I don't really know what he is talking about, so maybe someone can enlighten me.

what you can do is buy bulkheads, and attach pvc to the ends of the bulkheads with caps over the ends of the pvc.

what size are the holes? I can point you to what you need to seal off the holes for regular use.

Sumps are nice little filters, especially when you have a built in overflow. I don't see them being any riskier than a canister filter, if you do not overfill the tank. The PVC attachments on the bulkheads is simply going to make a dead end connection so that the water doesn't leave the overflow box? Then you hook up your canister filter in the usual canister fashion.

Plumb the canister filter into the overflow using the bulkheads and PVC pipe. The only drawback to this is that you will have to keep the water level up in the tank or the filter will run dry. I have a 150g FW tank that is set up this way. It has dual overflows feeding a Eheim 2260 with the returns coming back up through the overflows just like a SW setup...works great. I do have an auto top off system on this tank though since I only visit it every 2 weeks. I can send you pics of the setup and explain the plumbing in more detail if you want. If you're concerned about a leak, sit the canister in a large dishpan under the stand. That should have enough capacity to contain a leak or at least minimize it. Actually, you have less chance of a bad leak this way because the tank can only drain down to the level of the overflow. Typical "over the edge" canister plumbing could empty half of the tank into the floor if there was a leak. I don't much like the idea of the overflow sitting there full of stagnant water either. If you do decide to block it off, I'd put a small powerhead in there pumping back into the tank so water will circulate through the overflow. JMHO.

That is the exact info I was looking for! I just acquired a 58G Oceanic tank with an overflow. It also came with a Eheim 2217 that I want to use for filtration using the overflow. The previous owner had it set up that way, but I was concerned about any pitfalls. Good info here....thanks!

BTW, is there a noise issue when hooking up a canister this way?

Back
Top Bottom