Newbie in Belfast needs advice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pjos11

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all my name is Paul and I do live in Belfast, Ireland. Can you help? I bought a 350L trigon tank 8 days ago I left it for 6 days before adding 5 cardinals, 4 zebras, 2 platies. The readings before I added the fish were Ammonia 0.25
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
PH 7.4
Two days have past and now the reading are:
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0.25
Nitrate 5-10
PH 7.2
These readings have been the same for the two days. Is this OK?

Your tank is beginning to cycle. You should see nitrite drop in the next few days. 5-20 is normal for nitrate. If your fish are doing fine, you probably don't need to do anything. If they are gasping at the surface you will want to do a pwc. Be sure to check out the article section for info on cycling (many like to go for a fishless cycle but that isn't an option now)
What kind of filtration are your running? What test kit are you using?

Edit: *** guess i'm overreacting to the nitrite? after reading the above post... I just panic as soon as i see nitrite :-| Isn't that alot of fish to cycle?***
/Edit

Nitrite is a bad thing. It means that your tank is not fully cycled.

You added ALOT of fish at once. you should ideally add a little at a time, otherwise your tank could start its cycle all over again.

Basically the big circle of Nitrogen starts like this:

Ammonia ----> Nitrite -----> Nitrate

Nitrate is the end of it all, and only water changes and plants can get rid of this. If it goes above 40ppm, bad things can happen, though some fish are insanely adaptable.

If possible return SOME fish back to the store and add them back later.

Otherwise, you can ride it out, but if the tank goes and cycles again, you may lose some fish.

Keep a CLOSE eye on the levels. Check the water every day for the next few days. If anything starts to spike, run to the store and get something to counteract it before it kills something.

Chemcials are a last resort, in my books. I don't even like using peatmoss and carbon!

Its FRIDAY!!!! (wooohooo!!!)

Hi The filter system came with the package I really don`t know what type it is. Its supposed to be first class. The lfs told me to add that many fish because it is a large tank. He told me that my readings would not change until I added fish. The test kit is called Freshwater master test kit by Aquarium pharmaceuticals, INc.
Also I have a log of wood and ten plants all bought from the LFS.

Hi I have just noticed a blanket of GREEN forming on top of the two white rocks I have!!!!!!!!!!!
Do I PANIC?
The tank is only running 8 days

Welcome to AA! The green is algae. Don't panic, the tank is still very new. First before you worry about the algae, please keep testing your ammonia, nitrite and nitrates every couple of days. As described above the cycle takes much longer than a week.
As for using chemicals to alter any of your parameters, don't do it. Water changes are all that are needed to keep dangerous levels down. Don't alter ph either, a stable ph is better than fluctuations.
I personally don't worry about a bit of algae in a tank, it is normal if it isn't taking over the tank. There are many people on here than can advise you much better than I on algae.

The tank has 4 tubes in total. Two are 36inches long at 30watts the other two are 18inches long at 15 watts.

Nothing to panic about Paul. :wink: That's a very large tank (about 100 gallons). IMO you are fine cycling that size tank with so few fish. After the tank cycles completely, just add your next fishes very slowly.

New tanks will get diatom algae first. It's normal and is easily removed by wiping it clean. Your lighting shouldn't contribute to excessive algae growth but.... If the tank receives much direct sunlight that can.

GL and keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom