Nitrate 20 new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shelbidavis

Aquarium Advice Activist
My nitrate is 20ppm. Everything else 0. Hasn't gone away. What happens next in the cycling process for it to be cycled? What should I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What is your ammonia source? Is it a fish-in or fishless cycle?

Fish in..sorry guys haha

Did you ever see an ammonia reading? How long have you had the fish in the tank?

Is nitrite 0?

I never did! That's why I'm so confused. A month ago when I got the tank I used a 'bacteria in a bottle' to start the cycle. Unless the one week I didn't test ammonia, is when I missed an ammonia reading? Have no clue. Unless the tank hasn't even started the cycle, then I'm going to be angry. Lol

Had fish in the tank for 3 weeks

Keep an eye on nitrates. If they keep increasing your tank should be cycled. Which bacteria in a bottle did you use and how long ago did you last use it?

How much will it (or should it) increase? And it was a huge yellow bottle, probably safestart or something like that

46 gal. Two angels, two gouramis. 6 tetras. And one red tail shark. I understand the incompatibility.

I would guess about 5ppm per week depending on how big they are.

Ok should the nitrate drop when the cycle is finished?

Ok should the nitrate drop when the cycle is finished?
No, the way you lower the nitrates is with water changes. If nitrates are increasing and ammonia and nitrites are staying 0 then your cycle is finished.

Perfect thank you so much! Makings little more sense now

Back
Top Bottom