Nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What is the water change schedule?

It is good that they stay that low. I consider 20ppm to be the roof of safe nitrate, others will say 40ppm or more. The exact number is arbitrary but lower is always better. The important thing is that it stays low long term. Even a seemingly good water change schedule can be not quite enough and allow it to go up slowly over time.

Water changes and live plants are the two best ways to get rid of nitrate (and all the other bad things that build up over time). The ways nitrate get into a tank are: water changes (you always have some starting concentration), food, and the livestock itself (even without food they will give off some waste).

I am trying to complete my initial cycle. Nitrates stay at 20 ppm so far.

My nitrates are always right around there. Did you ever see a spike in nitrite? And is your ammo level being depleted within 24 hours? If so I would say you are fully cycled. If you used established filter media you might have missed the spike by not testing everyday or something. But as long as your ammo levels are being converted you're probably safe.

I am still working on a cycle. I am adding about 10-20 drops of ammonia per day. I end up with 4 ppm of ammonia, 5 ppm of nitrites and 20 ppm of nitrates. Just did another 1/3 water change. Ammonia drops to 2 ppm by morning.

Are you testing properly? If the nitrite is not changing at all there may be some other issue going on.

I could stop adding ammonia and see what happens. It has been decreasing 2 ppm per day.

You need to keep the source of ammonia. It should be consistent from one day to the next and eventually you won't be able to detect it even though you are still adding it because it will be processed.

Back
Top Bottom