Nitrites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Revenantwing

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I'm doing in fish cycling and its been about a month. Im patient with my cycle and don't mind slowly cycling nor water changes. About a week ago my nitrites went up and i was so happy but from there i haven't seen nitrites at all. Its like the bacteria just disappeared.

So I'm doing in fish cycling and its been about a month. Im patient with my cycle and don't mind slowly cycling nor water changes. About a week ago my nitrites went up and i was so happy but from there i haven't seen nitrites at all. Its like the bacteria just disappeared.

High nitrItes (no2) are hard on a fish, more so than ammo IMO. I'd suggest you keep the no2 level as close to 0ppm as possible. Here's a link that will help you out.

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

Are you doing large PWC on a daily basis? PWC is essential during the nitrIte phase as it is when you are producing ammonia.

NitrIte is only slightly less toxic than ammonia.

Do as many PWC as needed to reduce the nitrItes to less than .25 until they disappear and you nitrAte increases.

Are you doing large PWC on a daily basis? PWC is essential during the nitrIte phase as it is when you are producing ammonia.

NitrIte is only slightly less toxic than ammonia.

Do as many PWC as needed to reduce the nitrItes to less than .25 until they disappear and you nitrAte increases.

Actually, that's not correct:

"Nitrite actually seems to be more harmful than ammonia, partly due to the “double-whammy” effect of having ammonia first, followed by nitrites."

New Tank Syndrome - Article at The Age of Aquariums - Tropical Fish

exactly but then i saw nitrites once before but not anymore.

But you said nitrite twice in your first post. So are you seeing nitrItes (no2), or nitrAtes (no3)?

The link below has symptoms of no2 poisoning and if your fish are experiencing any, PWC are going to be the best, first defense to help them recover.

Fish Disease - Nitrite Poisoning

no the problem is im not seeing nitrites. Im thinking Im suppose to have nitrites by now.

last test .50 ammonia 0 nitrites 0 nitrates. I wasn't home yesterday so i couldn't change the water before .25 D:

Revenantwing said:
last test .50 ammonia 0 nitrites 0 nitrates. I wasn't home yesterday so i couldn't change the water before .25 D:

It know it probably sounds like I say this in every thread (sorry), but if you're using an API master kit, are you certain you're testing for nitrAtes correctly? Shaking #2 solution for 30 seconds and then the entire test tube for a solid minute? I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but every day even experienced members make mistakes on that test. It may be hiding where you actually are in your cycle.

I'd suggest you do a 50% PWC to get the ammo down to >.25ppm asap.

So if you saw no2 and it went away, did you ever see no3 (nitrAtes)? How how big is the tank and how long has the tank been running, also do you have any plants (even floating)?

never saw nitrates. 5 gallon that has been running for a month with a betta and apple snail. I have Java moss and Java fern in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom