Nitrites, with an I, still high

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chriznat20@msn.

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
First off I just want to say thanks to everybody on this board. Lots of good knowledge have kept me on the right track.
Ok, Ive had my 55 gallon FW tank since Feb 26. I put 3 tiger barbs in it on March 2nd, and gradually added fish since, now I have 11. (3 t. barbs, 1 rafael, 1 pleco, 2 gouramis, 1 bala shark, 2 other fish i dont know what the $*#@ they are, 1 loach).
My ammonia spiked and went to zero about 3-4 weeks ago, has been 0, or undetectable for weeks. My nitrite, with an I, was very high, as a matter of fact, my test kit couldnt even go that high. I did several 30-40% water changes, changed my bio-bags but did not touch the bio foam, (two weeks apart from one another!) Note: bio bags were not even closed to being dirty. Just a little fish poo here and there, flow of filter was excellent. I have added some "easy balance" by tetra, still my nitrites are around 3ppm. My fish are perfectly fine, no stress really notable. I DO NOT overfeed, for the past 2 1/2 weeks I have been feeding every two days, and nothing even makes it to the middle of the tank, let alone the bottom, so ive ruled out decaying food and/or excessive fish waste. i dont understand whats going on here. The water is crystal clear, it doesnt smell at all. When will my nitrites, with an I, go down? Also, how long should I leave my hood lights on? they are the fluorescent bulb ones, I leave them on for probably about 6 hours a day. Could that have something do with it? I cant figure it out, its been long enough to cycle. What do you think I could be doing to help those nitrites get out of my life? please help, ive already been frustrated now im getting ticked :?

Well, calm down, they are pretty low it seems. I think they are coming down. The lights are only on 6 hours a day, that is not the case. I think you should just wait it out. (i know, you have been)

The bacteria that consumes nitrites grows at about 1/2 the rate of the ammonia consuming bacteria. That's why it takes longer for the nitrites to come down. I agree with Justin that yours are on the way down. Give it a couple of more weeks. If, at that point, you're still showing high nitrites, I'd suspect the test kit. Have you had the water tested at the LFS? The lights won't have anything to do with it AFAIK. I run my FW tank lights 12 hrs a day.
Logan J

I know it's tough to wait. Wait (no pun intended) till the SW bug bites you. Then you learn what waiting really is :mrgreen: .
Logan J

I am having trouble waiting on my 5.5 planted tank to look like it is 3 years old. I know that is in due time though. I am waiting, impatiently

haha, you guys are funny. Anyways, I have another tank coming any day now, its just a 5 gallon "emergency" tank that I plan on keeping a few snails and maybe a small fish in. I see what all of you aquarium junkies mean when you say that once you get started with an aquarium, it just starts snowballing, next thing you know your whole house is nothing but a big pane of glass filled with water and fish :lol:

Back
Top Bottom