Nitrtite 1.0 on a fishless cycle, have some questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

critter905

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I tested my water again last night. My results were: PH stabel @ 7.6 as usual, Ammonia still @ 0, and my Nitrite was reading 1.0.

Is all of this normal for my situation? Just thought I would see an Ammonia spike by now.

I am almost 3 weeks into cycling a 75 gal tank with raw, unprocessed shrimp bought at the store. I have no plants, just gravel and driftwood.

TIA for the advice

Menagerie: Is it typical for the ammonia to spike so quickly and then dissapear?
I have been checking water parameters about every three days give or take.

What can I expect next?

Yes, spike can happen rapidly. The next thing you should see is the nitrite level go up or disappear. Once nitrates appear, the cycle is about over and the ammonia and nitrite should be undectable.

I'll echo Menagerie - the ammonia spike can often take place very early in the cycle, while the nitrite phase (at least for me) takes the majority of the cycling time. Be careful not to disturb the gravel or clean anything, or do any water changes during the fishless cycle.

Back
Top Bottom