NJ water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nativenuyorker

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I met this seemingly knowledgable gentleman at a Petco. He told me that if I did not purchase a water purifier than I would be wasting my money because the water in NJ is not suitable for a fish hobby. He also suggested that I add salt to my water because all fish need a bit of saltwater. Is he correct?

My nitrate is somewhere between 0 & 5.0 ppm, Nitrite 0 ppm (baby blue) and my Ammonia is at 0.25 after 5 weeks of cycling with a dead shrimp and plants. What now?

I met this seemingly knowledgable gentleman at a Petco. He told me that if I did not purchase a water purifier than I would be wasting my money because the water in NJ is not suitable for a fish hobby. He also suggested that I add salt to my water because all fish need a bit of saltwater. Is he correct?

My nitrate is somewhere between 0 & 5.0 ppm, Nitrite 0 ppm (baby blue) and my Ammonia is at 0.25 after 5 weeks of cycling with a dead shrimp and plants. What now?

Easy thing to do, call your local water company and ask for the most recent water testing results. It's public knowledge they have to release the info.

Not all fish require salt in fact most people don't use salt unless treating for a parasite or other sickness.

Salt yes... If its a saltwater tank or brackish tank.

I think the info you obtained is incorrect. The water issue we won't know until you call for the report. If you need help with I can help in getting the report if need be.

Hi, i can't tell you much about NJ's water, as not being from the area!!!. Was he by any chance, selling the purifiers. Salt is optional but not necessary. Are you just starting out, pre-cycle. The best way to know for sure, is to test the water yourself. Use a liquid test kit, they are more accurate....

OK I live in NJ just outside of Trenton and have no issues whatsoever... And I keep discus! Just make sure you use a water conditioner... Prime is a good choice :)

I live in northern nj and I have no problem with the water. I have a fully planted tank and is running well for about two years. The only thing about the water in my town is that the ph is around 7.6.

They guy may be trying to stick it to you and sell you the purifier.

Back
Top Bottom