No idea what I'm doing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaimeejohnson

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My grandmother bought my 4 year old a 20 g tank. I have never owned fish. Petsmart told me to put water in it and declorinate and run it for 5-7 days. I did. I took the water back to the store to have them check it. They told me everything looks perfect. So I bought fish. Mostly tetras (3 gowlight, 3 long fin minor, and 2 black), mollies (2 balloon belly) and 1 goast catfish. For the bottom I purchased 5 goast shrimps, 2 african dwarf frogs, and a mystery snail. First 24 hours my catfish died. I think the glow light tetras ate his tail and whiskers off. Im not sure if he died because they ate him or if they ate him after. I don't know what cycling is and if that is something I should be doing? I was told to remove 25% of the water every 2-3 weeks. Seems like the petsmart associate I spoke with wasn't has knowledgable as I thought. Can I please get advice on what I should be doing. Thanks.:confused:

Well, Glass Catfish like to be in groups and haven't been known to be the hardiest thing around. Great fish, but not really a beginning fish.

Don't be surprised if the Ghost Shrimp also die soon. Again, I have used those as feeders, and although they can live long lives, I haven't seen it.

Also can you restate your Tetras?

Your tank is going to be going through something called fish-in cycling
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice
Its helpful if you get your own test kit instead of relying on the lfs. Let us know if you have any questions :)

Welcome to the AA community!

I agree.

That you levels were all good before adding fish is to be expected -- once you add the fish and start to fish-in cycle, they won't stay that way unless you take action.

The link in the previous post contains a lot of helpful information. My advice is to read it, get the test kit, and test your parameters -- if you record them and post them here, along with tank size, inhabitants, etc., there are many people here who stand ready to answer questions you may have or give you advice if you want/need it.

Good luck!

Glowlight tetras, long fin red minor tetras and I had two black phantom tetras but I just came home to find one dead. What should I do? Go buy test strips? Change water? ????

If you haven't done a water change in a couple of days at least, it's good to start with 50% water change with dechlorinator. Then head to the store and get the API Master Liquid test kit (strips are cheap but they are also inaccurate; the liquid kit costs more up front but it will last longer and is more accurate). Once you have the test kit, test your water daily. The link above will tell you what to do. You have a lot of fish and frogs in an uncycled tank and some of them may not be compatible. If you can return some that might be a good idea as well. Here's another link that covers cycling and other basics: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium-186089.html

Buy the API master test kit. I have a couple questions for u what type of filtration do you have and what type of dechlorinator are you using with that many fish depending on your filtration you may need to do 25 to 30% water changes everyday also what type of media do you have in the filter carbon biochips? Also advice on filtration you need to move double the water what the tank size is so that means so you need a filter that is up to 60 gallons more is better

librarygirl said:
If you haven't done a water change in a couple of days at least, it's good to start with 50% water change with dechlorinator. Then head to the store and get the API Master Liquid test kit (strips are cheap but they are also inaccurate; the liquid kit costs more up front but it will last longer and is more accurate). Once you have the test kit, test your water daily. The link above will tell you what to do. You have a lot of fish and frogs in an uncycled tank and some of them may not be compatible. If you can return some that might be a good idea as well. Here's another link that covers cycling and other basics: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium-186089.html

Ha you beat me to it I was typing when you entered your response about the test kit lol

Start off with a big water change, 50% should really help. Then read those articles that have been posted - they will REALLY help you understand what is going on with your tank and how the next several weeks are going to go.

As it's been mentioned invest in a test kit, it will let you know where you water stands and how you need to approach water changes. You will be doing a lot of those for the next while to keep your remaining fish alive/happy.

I also suggest you research the fish you do have now. Get some info of what you have, what works and what doesn't. Tetras are schooling fish and should have at least 6 of each. Something to consider.

One thing that I do is that I keep a log book of when I test my water. I record everything. Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, PH (if PH is real high, I record the PH High) With the API Master Test Kit, you get the chemicals to test everything I just mentioned, 4 test tubes, a manual, and a range chart.

Another thing I have done is research. This site has PLENTY of information. Feel free to look over everything you think may help you. I also have a folder and printed out some of the advice/guides and read them over.

Somebody mentioned the strip test kits being cheaper. But long term its not. You get 25 strips for what, $13? I've tested at least a hundred times with my API liquid kid and in the big picture the liquid is wayyy cheaper! And wayyy more accurate.

Hey don't feel bad. Those people at PetSmart have been around a lot of aquariums, and this is how I view them:

ChzUb.jpg

Now you can relish in the thought of knowing that you now know more than they do after just reading the advice in this single thread.

The problem with places like Petco and Petsmart is that they're just a normal retail type of business that needs employees to stock products, assist consumers and all the typical stuff. They (Petco & Petsmart) do not addimantly seek knowledgable people for those positions. But there are people who know what they're doing, just don't be surprised when you run into more employees who don't than do.

I actually talked to an employee at Petco who told me all about his salt water tanks. According to him, he's spent around $10k in different things like fish, coral, tanks, ect, in about 4 years, but also turns around and sells some of the stuff as well (in which he supposedly sold around $7k worth of coral, fish, ect over the same time period.

Just be sure to do research and you'll be find and learn many things.

The filter I have came with my tank so I assume it is the proper size for the tank. It has like a mesh bag of some sort in a basket that slips into the filter. The declorinator I am using is Nutrafin. I bought some test strips today and plan on buying the API master test kit when I have a little more money. I will be testing water tonight and doing a water change. Do I just use buckets to change the water? And do I add the declorinator after I add the water back into the tank or before? Also do I have to remove my fish to change the water or can I leave them in the tank since I am not removing all the water?

jaimeejohnson said:
The filter I have came with my tank so I assume it is the proper size for the tank. It has like a mesh bag of some sort in a basket that slips into the filter. The declorinator I am using is Nutrafin. I bought some test strips today and plan on buying the API master test kit when I have a little more money. I will be testing water tonight and doing a water change. Do I just use buckets to change the water? And do I add the declorinator after I add the water back into the tank or before? Also do I have to remove my fish to change the water or can I leave them in the tank since I am not removing all the water?

What I normally do is fill a bucket in my sink, to my desired temperature, then dechlorinate. Let it sit a minute and dump it in!
And you can leave the fish in

What I normally do is fill a bucket in my sink, to my desired temperature, then dechlorinate. Let it sit a minute and dump it in!
And you can leave the fish in

I do this, and be sure to dose with dechlor for the whole size of the tank not just what you remove.

I do this, and be sure to dose with dechlor for the whole size of the tank not just what you remove.

Actually if you're dosing each individual bucket, you want to dose for the amount of water in that bucket (so if the bucket is 5 gal, see how much dechlorinator you need for 5 gals and add it into the bucket). Alternatively, you can add dechlorinator to the tank before you refill; if you do this then you want to add enough for the whole tank, not just the water you are replacing, then you can refill without having to dose each bucket.

What I do is fill my 5 gallon buckets (and I try feeling the water to try matching the temp of the water in the tank), then I dump the water from the buckets into the tank. When I'm done filling, I then add my chemicals to match the volume in the tank, not just what I added.

Actually if you're dosing each individual bucket, you want to dose for the amount of water in that bucket (so if the bucket is 5 gal, see how much dechlorinator you need for 5 gals and add it into the bucket). Alternatively, you can add dechlorinator to the tank before you refill; if you do this then you want to add enough for the whole tank, not just the water you are replacing, then you can refill without having to dose each bucket.

I meant that in my first bucket I dose for the whole tank, then the remaining bucket(s) - I only have a 20 gal so a 5 gal bucket goes a long way, lol. Not that I dose each bucket, though I thought regardless you needed to dose the whole tank. interesting.. Is there any harm in just adding the dechlor straight to the tank and forgoing the bucket dosing.

Back
Top Bottom