No Nitirites? Am I cycling correctly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kimkat

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Here are my readings in my 5 gallon for the past few days. Note that the ammonia reading is probably wrong and a lot less than what is actually in the tank. The type of ammonia (Dr. Tim's ammonium chloride) I am using isn't detected by the API test kit and I'm not sure how to calculate how much is really in the tank. (I'll put guesstimates next to ammonia according to how many drops I put in)

I also used 2 entire bottles of Tetra Safe Start, one for around 20 gallons and the other for 70 gallons. Maybe this is the cause for the strange readings?

First day:
1/4/15 - Ammonia .50 ppm (probably 3ppm, 7 ish drops. On the bottle it says 1 drop per gallon = 2ppm so a little over 5 drops would be around 3.)
1/4/15 - Nitrite 1.0 ppm
1/4/15 - Nitrate 0ppm
---------------------------------------------
Next day:
1/5/15 - Ammonia .25ppm (around 2.75ppm?) I added one drop)
1/5/15 - Nitrite 0ppm
1/5/15 - Nitrate 0ppn
Skipped yesterday. This reading was taken around 12am:
1/7/15 - Ammonia .50ppm (around 3.00 ppm again...added two drops after taking this reading)
1/7/15 - Nitrite 0ppm
1/7/15 - Nitrate 10ppm
Today in the afternoon:
1/7/15 - Ammonia 1.0 ppm (Probably around 4.5 ppm, maybe less since it was only 2 drops)
1/7/15 - Nitrite 0ppm
1/7/15 - Nitrate 20ppm

Is this normal? I haven't seen nitrite in a while.
Also how can I tell if my tank is fully cycled if ammonia doesn't show up correctly in my readings?

It is a problem if you are using an ammonia source that your test kit can't reliably detect. I use Ammo by Kleen Off and is detected accurately.
If your nitrates are rising then it is not always the case that you get a nitrite reading. The nitrite is being converted as fast as it is being formed. The fact that your nitrates are rising is a good sign.
A pure ammonia source is really the best way to assess the cycle. However, it looks like you're well on your way.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It is a problem if you are using an ammonia source that your test kit can't reliably detect. I use Ammo by Kleen Off and is detected accurately.
If your nitrates are rising then it is not always the case that you get a nitrite reading. The nitrite is being converted as fast as it is being formed. The fact that your nitrates are rising is a good sign.
A pure ammonia source is really the best way to assess the cycle. However, it looks like you're well on your way.

Thank you!! I'm glad it's working! It's a relief.

Ammonia is already in my tank so I don't want to screw up the readings further ;_; Thank you though!
I'll probably just let it sit at 0 for a while (when it gets to that point) and if it stays it's probably cycled, right? Will my bacteria die if I don't give it ammonium at 0 for a few days?

No the bacteria won't die in a couple of days but will start to reduce thereafter. I personally do a huge water change 24 hrs before introducing first stock (using conditioned water to avoid killing the bacteria).
Then water test daily, water changing if required, until the tank has balanced out. It's just a matter of carefully introducing stock, allowing the bacteria to multiply to keep up with the increased loading. Slowly does it and you should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom