No nitrites in cycle, but trace nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CoeurSauvage

Aquarium Advice Regular
I started my aquarium about 5 weeks ago. It's 10 gallons , penguin 150 filter, micro gravel substrate, and heater. I currently have 2 fancy guppies , 1 mystery snail, 1 ghost shrimp , and 1 VERY tiny pond snail. There is also an anubias nana and a moss ball.

I test every day with api liquid testers.
My readings are strange. There is always ammonia( it varies from .25 to 1 ppm. I have never had a reading for nitrites ( I know to beat the bottles to death ) but recently I have been having a reading of nitrAtes at about 5 to 10 ppm. Does anyone know what is happening? Will my nitrites eventually spike, or is it almost done cycling?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks

My tank has been up and running for nearly 3 weeks with the exact same situation and readings. I would also like to know what is going on.

Im not sure but maybe there isnt enough ammonia been produced. You should always fishless cycle in my opinion so much cleaner and way easier

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Unfortunately, I didn't know about fish less cycling until after I had already set up. Next time I will definitly do it that way !

I suggest you use Seachem's Prime and Stability. It helped me a lot in my fish-in cycle as well, perhaps establishing my tank. Just follow the instructions there and in no time, you'd be surprise on its results. Mine took about 10days (10g) and 15 days (20g). Best of Luck!

I'm using aqueon water clarifier 5mls per 10 gals
I just did my 3rd w/c in 8days
again thanks for the help

Sent from my C5170 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Your Tank

I started my aquarium about 5 weeks ago. It's 10 gallons , penguin 150 filter, micro gravel substrate, and heater. I currently have 2 fancy guppies , 1 mystery snail, 1 ghost shrimp , and 1 VERY tiny pond snail. There is also an anubias nana and a moss ball.

I test every day with api liquid testers.
My readings are strange. There is always ammonia( it varies from .25 to 1 ppm. I have never had a reading for nitrites ( I know to beat the bottles to death ) but recently I have been having a reading of nitrAtes at about 5 to 10 ppm. Does anyone know what is happening? Will my nitrites eventually spike, or is it almost done cycling?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks

Hello Coe...

Get some floating plants into the tank. Hornwort is a good one. Just drop some individual stems into the water and they'll live off the nitrogen and help keep your water properties a bit more stable. Keep testing the tank water daily and remove just 25 percent and replace that with pure, treated tap water if you have a positive test for ammonia or nitrite. If you remove more than this, you'll starve you good bacteria and the cycling process may take longer.

Just test every day and remove the water when needed. When several daily tests show no traces of ammonia or nitrite, the tank is cycled.

You might consider a bit larger tank. 30 gallons is perfect and will give you the best chance for success.

B

I'm using aqueon water clarifier 5mls per 10 gals
I just did my 3rd w/c in 8days
again thanks for the help

Sent from my C5170 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

keep it up then, it will be soon in no time, i guess, you are on the right track!

I've tried using Stability and TSS , with no results. Looks like I'll just have to play the waiting game and be patient! Lol!

I waited 25 days with similar results, 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate. Was using some topfin bacteria stuff from petsmart that didn't seen to be doing much.

Added some prime at that point and 2 days later nitrite shot up to 2ppm. A day later 10ppm nitrate. Should have added prime sooner :)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You can use it for your dechlorinator anyway after you cycle

Absolutely love the prime. A must have for tanks. I actually over the last year have become partial to the seachem products. There purigen is amazing and it is rechargeable.

I switched over to prime, and I have to say , I'm pretty impressed! My ammonia has gone down and my fish seem even happier then they were. BTW, I AM waiting at least 24 hours after adding prime to check ammonia levels. No complaints here! :)

Glad to hear it seemed to work for you. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom