Nutrafin Cycle and Ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zuzkots

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone!
I've just started cycling my new 55g tank. I'm getting some 9.5% ammonia later on today (doing a fishless cycle). My question is, I've already added in 3 days worth of Nutrafin Cycle (before reading how useless it is). Do I have to do a large water change to get rid of the NC before dosing with ammonia? Or can I just carry on without a WC?
Thanks in advance.

You can just carry on without a water change. I will say that it worked to a point in my tank. I had some really weird readings from it. My ammo actually raised on it's own! It left my tank very unstable for quite a while. But if you are going the ammo route now without adding fish you will be just fine.

I did read it works for some people, but like you, a lot of them said it messed up their tank's stability as the bacteria only lives for so long without redosing. I added ammonia today so we'll see what happens...
Thanks for your help!

The bacteria, as I was told, can actually live for months without ammonia, so that probably isn't it.

Back
Top Bottom