Ok Fishless Cycle underway 02/16/2009

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bender

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so after my last post "911!!!!!!" as many of you saw i have since gotten the right ammonia. I found an ACE near me and got it done. Brought it home and put in 2 capfulls just now in my 55gallon tank. i will test it in about 1 hour see where I am at.

After going to ACE, i noticed a small independent pet store 2 store fronts down. So i said what they Hey lets go say hello. So i go in and am looking at their tanks.....nothing rare, but nice looking well maintained tanks. Anyway i ask about the "fishless" cycle and they said they have heard of it but kept pressing me to buy 2 bottles of some aquaclear product think it was called right start? something along those lines.....saying if i added the ammonia and the 2 bottles (at $14.99 each!) my tank would be cycled in 24 hours....i found this very hard to believe. So i asked if i could have some older filter material to help speed along my process....they stated they dont do that.....and kept pressing me to buy the bottles....

Well that was a little bummer....i did not cave in and decided to just stay with the ammonia and see what happens.....so it may take longer with a brand new tank and filter and nothing to seed it.....but all good will keep you all posted!

THANKS!!!!!

So just did first test after 1 hour from adding the "juice" and im getting about 3.0ppm that too high? or can i jsut let it ride and will come down over time? and jsut not add any more for however long it takes to begin coming down?

Get it up to around 5ppm to start. I have the same ace ammonia and 3 capfuls gets me right around there. Once you start to get a ton of nitrite then you can lower the does a bit, just to maintain the bacteria. make sure it doesn't go much over 5 though cause then it can start to inhibit the cycle.

And about the products you can buy at stores. I'm glad you stayed strong. At first I was stuborn to the information given out here and tried two or three different products. They did nothing at all. The only thing that people have said to work is one product that I know drsfostersmith.com carriers. I can't remember what its called but its refrigerated. Good luck and be patient.

We talking 5.0ppm? or .50ppm? Because im at around 4.0ppm now.....and those are big differences if im not mistaken.

5ppm (not 0.5ppm) is a good level if fishless cycling.

And of *course* they wanted you to buy some stuff that reportedly cycles your tank in 24 hours. Such a product does not exist. If you can, find a new LFS, or don't deal with that particular person directly again.

Also, it's probably better that you don't use their media. The chances are goos that nasties will come with it. If you had a friend who you know has a healthy tank then you'd probably have no issues, but not a LFS.

Bio-Spira is the name of the product. It has a very good reputation although I have never used it. You could overnight it from drsfostersmith.com If you really want help with your cycle. And ya try and keep your ammonia to about 5.0 ppm and then when you start getting nitrite you can lower the dose a bit and also make sure to do water changes to keep your nitrite down or it will inhibit the cycle. (found that out the hard way.)

You know what really grinds my gears?

***Off topic:

Why is it all these LFS do not recommend fishless cycling? I understand they want to make money, but isn't it the responsible thing to advocate? I was in my LFS today (one which I really like, great plants/fish), and was talking to the owner of the store. I told him I was fishless cycling my 5g tank I bought from him and he said the same thing, "Yeah I have heard of it but we don't recommend it."

It seems to me that in the long run, these stores would make more money with repeat business if they gave out the best advice, not just the advice that gets customers to fork over dough up front, but leaves new aquariests frustrated and untrusting in the short term.

I think most people would just take their word for it. The average person isn't on this forum attempting to get informed and understand. I don't understand why not just tell them like you said and try and establish a good reputation. I'm applying for a job at a petland right now. I'll hopefully have more info from the inside as to what they tell you to say and all that soon.

Tested this morning. 24 hours after adding ammonia.... same results no drop at all no nitraits nitrites.

so ran all the tests this morning....and no change at all. Ammonia still same level no traits or trits.

It's gonna be 10-20 days before the ammonia moves, then nitrites another 10-20 (generally)

Bah!!!! Tested again! this morning no signs of anything other then, ammonia.... patience is a virtue i am lacking......

Ok so started the cycle on 2/16/09 and this morning as of 4 hours ago when i tested....Still same Ammonia at 5.0ppm and no other fun things.....:sleeping::sleeping::sleeping:

Dude I have been cyling a tank for a month and it is not done yet. Patience! It will be ready before you know it.

Maybe i should just put a big giant blanket over my tank so i dont see it.....then also stop visting my 2 LFS almost every day.... :rolleyes:

I'm jumping in a little late.

Like said above, Bio-Spira can actually work and yes, it can cycle your tank in 24 hours. It's handling, though, is critical. If anyone in the chain handled it improperly, it won't work, and it's not cheap. It has to stay refrigerated, during storage at the warehouse, packing, the whole shipping process, etc. If it's good, it does work. If it's not, you're out $35/bottle.

Want to speed your process? Get seed material. An old filter, gravel, plants, anything will help. That LFS didn't bite - try another. Ask friends. Post in your regional forum here on AA see if someone can help you out. You in Northern Virginia? Come see me.

Also, I assume you have, but if not read the article, it has tips and tricks to help things along (warm water, high O2, etc).

Make absolutely sure you're not running your light. Algae nightmares if you are.

And, like said above - patience. Good things come to those who wait.

Back
Top Bottom