One Week Fish-In Cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ArtInducedComa

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 20 gallon long tank and I did a fish-in cycle. I used API Quick Start and started with 4 bloodfin tetra. I checked the water each day for a week and never saw a spike in ammonia. Everything has been zero across the board and now I'm starting to see a slight rise in nitrates. From what I understand, zero ammonia, zero nitrites, and a small amount of nitrates, signals a cycled tanked. Is this correct?

Are these the results you would expect to see after just a week?

Attachments

• 20170724_194838.jpg
    20170724_194838.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 67
I wonder if the fish generated enough ammonia to get the process going.
Moving forward, I would continue monitoring the parameters (maybe every other day or 3x a week) and keep us posted on your findings.

That's sort of what I was expecting to hear. I just kept reading about the cycle taking weeks to complete and so I felt skeptical that mine had even started.

Thank you for the info!

So I've seen a small increase in ammonia. The test isn't completely yellow any longer. It definitely has a green tint to it but it's still less than 0.25ppm. My nitrates are getting close to 10ppm. But now I have a sick fish. He's swimming at a slight angle and has a red, bulging eye. I dont know what this indicates but he's not doing well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom