Opinions on Filtration?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ac30fan

Aquarium Advice Activist
29gal freshwater tank with a Marineland bio wheel 200.

How do I know how much filtration is adequate? Will any tank benefit from multiple filtration units, using a variety of methods? Specifically, I'm wondering if my setup would benefit by the addition of a multi-stage canister filter, or even a H.O.T. Magnum filter? How much, before its overkill?

And if another unit is advisable, would it be best to add it now or wait until after my fishless cycle is completed? I'm still reading initial ammonia levels, and no sign os nitrates/nitrates yet, for what it's worth...

Cheers, and thanks!

It's probably sufficient. I personally don't like the Marineland filters as the media is very constricted to the filter pads and the biowheel tends to stop working after a while. You can certainly add another filter; an aquaclear 50 maybe. You could do a canister, it's up to you. Extra filtration is never a bad thing.

I think your filter is fine. The bio-wheel will slow down if not stop as it accumulates with biological filtration. This is ok and normal as per manufacturer. A window of filtration is 3-5(+) turnover rate. Many factors contribute to filters performance including your maintenance schedule.

It's probably sufficient. I personally don't like the Marineland filters as the media is very constricted to the filter pads and the biowheel tends to stop working after a while. You can certainly add another filter; an aquaclear 50 maybe. You could do a canister, it's up to you. Extra filtration is never a bad thing.

How exactly would I seed a new filter using media from my current filter?

If adding a new filter you can just run both filters for a while so it gains the BB it needs.

You.can also move over all the pads and add to the other filter or even part of it

Back
Top Bottom