Oxy shells

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paisley blue

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there.
I got fish a month ago (one goldfish and one suckermouth catfish) because my partner brought home an old tank with a built-in filter, we soon found out that it was not appropriate as the goldfish was gasping for air at the surface of the water. I set them up in a new 20L glass tank with a new water filter. When I brought the tank I got an OXY Shell, the packaging said it would oxygenate and balance the water PH. this new tank has been going well but today I noticed some white particles in the water so I went to scoop them out with a small net.. as soon as the net touched the pebbles white particles filled the water in that spot. I soon realized that it was the OXY shell that has created all the particles and that all the pebbles were full of it. I took the oxy shell out of the tank but I'm not sure what I should do now, If I should clean the tank out completely or if the particles will just break down. The goldfish has started 'glass surfing' and doesn't seem very happy. Any information about my situation or tips would be appreciated. Thanks so much for any help you can offer.:fish2:

I dont know about oxygen shells but 20 L is too small for goldfish and your pleco (especially common plecos). It also sounds like you didn't cycle your tank, the gasping could be from too much ammonia. You can find some helpful articles about both cycling a tank and species profiles on many fish.

Back
Top Bottom