Powerhead ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JenyJenz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,

In the middle of cycling still and wanted to know if I should get a powerhead. I already decided i want this over an air pump due to the submergible option. My question is I would like to have a bubble curtain but obviously it needs an air source via tubing (ugh i hate the look of tubing) so can I somehow get this bubble curtain going with a powerhead? Are there different types of power heads? Also, i heard they aid in water changes? How?

Thanks again!

~JenyJenz

I feel like tubing is much easier to hide than a powerhad? Plus the pump isn't in the tank and the wand or stone is hidden in the substrate.
Never heard of a bubble wand and powerhead combo.

If your inventive, I imagine you can figure out a way to hook a powerhead up to a bubble wand to power it but you will still need tubing in some fashion to do it. I honestly have never heard of powerheads 'aiding' in water changes. I have powerheads in both of my tanks and everything is turned off for water changes- without water, you would burn the motor out in a powerhead. Leaving them on for a water change would make the change more difficult because they would blow everything around & make sucking up debris problematic. Just my opinion anyway! :)

My powerhead has an attachable tube and will really shoot out a nice steam of bubbles. I prefer it to an air pump. I think it is prettier and so much more quiet.

I'm not clear on what you are trying to do. You can inject air into a powerhead with special attachment, or you can get a spray bar for a powerhead, or put air though a bubble wand. You can't really put a powerhead into a spray bar because they're not designed to running with water.

OscarFan76 said:
My powerhead has an attachable tube and will really shoot out a nice steam of bubbles. I prefer it to an air pump. I think it is prettier and so much more quiet.

Yea this sounds like what i need. I guess there are different types?

Back
Top Bottom