Problem for new setup freshwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mythsword

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,
I am a newbie with aquarium. I have a 29gal tank. After followed the Petco guy's advice, I added gravel to the tank, filled water and let the Aquaclear 50 filter ran for 1 week. After that, I bought some live plants, 2 plecos, 5 guppies, 5 platies, 4 mollies and 2 scrimps (my stupid decision :( ) for the tank.
After 4 days, 4 guppies and 1 plecos are gone. The other fishes are ok until now (2 weeks from the day I add the fishes).
I did Ammonia test in the 3rd day after I added fishes. It is 1.5ppm. Then on the 5th day, I rised to 2ppm. I changed 30% water. Then I add API Ammo-Lock for every other days in 1 week.
The Ammonia didn't go down. Then I buy the Ammonia Remover to add in to the filter. Nothing changes until now. Ammonia: 3.5ppm, Nitrite 0ppm. And my tank is cloudy a little bit.
I also add API Stress Zyme every week. And do vacuum for the gravel any other days.
My question is:
1. What should I do now to make everything right?
2. Do I need to adjust the filter flow rate to minimum or maximum?
3. Do I need to use a UV Sterilizer?
4. Do I need to add any other treatment?

Thank you.

1. Bring back any fish if you can, Irecommend attempting a fishless cycle. Plecos get WAY too big for a 29 gallon tank. The rest of your fish are at pretty high risk if you fish in cycle, especially if you arent familiar with it as you dont seem to be.
2. Maximum
3. Worthless unless you get a sterilizer 6x your tank size.... and even then, unnecessary.
4. No, you;re better off attpemting a fishless cycle and not adding anything but ammoni and fish food until your beneficial bacteria cultures develop

Oh, and for future reference? Never listen to people at the fish store, especially chains like the place startinging with "P" and ending with "o". They usually have no idea what they are talking about and are just trying to get you to buy more stuff.

Last edited:
Thanks so much guys.
Is there any other way than fishless cycle. I cannot bring back fishes I bought 2 weeks before.
And what do you mean when you said Ammoni?
How many fish I can keep in 29 gal tank?
Thank you.

Thanks so much guys.
Is there any other way than fishless cycle. I cannot bring back fishes I bought 2 weeks before.
And what do you mean when you said Ammoni?
How many fish I can keep in 29 gal tank?
Thank you.
I meant ammonia, it was a typo.
If you want (or need) to cycle with fish in the tank, use this guide. It is a LOT of work, and not good for beginners, but if you can't return the fish then you'll have to.

Fish-in Cycling

How many fish you can keep depends entirely on the kind of fish. You can keep exactly 0 plecos, but probably around 20 or 30 guppies if you wanted. I would check out this stocking calculator to give you a good idea. Just plug in your tank size and the fish you want and it'll tell you if your tank is under or overstocked.

AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

To give an idea, my fiance and I's 29 gallon is going to have 6 platies, 6 kuhli loaches, and 2 angelfish. That's a heavy stocking, but with regular maintenance it's doable. If we took out the two angelfish we could add a lot of smaller fish.

Last edited:
To give an idea, my fiance and I's 29 gallon is going to have 6 platies, 6 kuhli loaches, and 2 angelfish. That's a heavy stocking, but with regular maintenance it's doable. If we took out the two angelfish we could add a lot of smaller fish.

Here is what my 29 gal will be stocked with, just throwing out more ideas. The Dwarf Gourami is not the easiest fish to keep, and is not recommended for new people.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1414205336605.jpg
    1414205336605.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 84
I will try with your Fish-In guide. And update some result soon :).
One more thing is:
1. The tank wall, air line and other decorations are kind of slimy. What is that? Why? Is that good? If not, how can I remove it?
2. Whenever I take the air line out and let it dries, there is a white powder around it. What is that? Why? Is that good? If not, how can I remove it?

Sorry guys for many questions. I am like a blank paper with aquarium. I spent lot money for useless things and I need to make things right.

Thank you.

I will try with your Fish-In guide. And update some result soon :).
One more thing is:
1. The tank wall, air line and other decorations are kind of slimy. What is that? Why? Is that good? If not, how can I remove it?
2. Whenever I take the air line out and let it dries, there is a white powder around it. What is that? Why? Is that good? If not, how can I remove it?

Sorry guys for many questions. I am like a blank paper with aquarium. I spent lot money for useless things and I need to make things right.

Thank you.

That sounds like some kind of algae, when it dries it turns white. I wouldn't worry too much about it, and if it bothers you take a wet towel and pull the tube through it. The air tube needs to be wet for this to work.
My air hoses have this to, and i don't bother cleaning them now.

Ask away with questions, we are here to help

Hope this helps.

Thank you.

Well, you sure found the right place to fix things :)

+1 on the slimyness probably being some kind of algae.

Yes, LFS knows everything and gives the best advice.

I am sorry you were put through this. At least someone has a job, at least until you get your replacement fish.

Hi everyone,
I am a newbie with aquarium. I have a 29gal tank. After followed the Petco guy's advice, I added gravel to the tank, filled water and let the Aquaclear 50 filter ran for 1 week. After that, I bought some live plants, 2 plecos, 5 guppies, 5 platies, 4 mollies and 2 scrimps (my stupid decision :( ) for the tank.
After 4 days, 4 guppies and 1 plecos are gone. The other fishes are ok until now (2 weeks from the day I add the fishes).
I did Ammonia test in the 3rd day after I added fishes. It is 1.5ppm. Then on the 5th day, I rised to 2ppm. I changed 30% water. Then I add API Ammo-Lock for every other days in 1 week.
The Ammonia didn't go down. Then I buy the Ammonia Remover to add in to the filter. Nothing changes until now. Ammonia: 3.5ppm, Nitrite 0ppm. And my tank is cloudy a little bit.
I also add API Stress Zyme every week. And do vacuum for the gravel any other days.
My question is:
1. What should I do now to make everything right?
2. Do I need to adjust the filter flow rate to minimum or maximum?
3. Do I need to use a UV Sterilizer?
4. Do I need to add any other treatment?

Thank you.

Sorry you had a rough start, glad you came here.

Definitely follow that fish-in guide. But do a big water change before you even sit down to learn the steps!

Couldn't the white powder be mineral deposits too?

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Couldn't the white powder be mineral deposits too?

It is possible, but if there is algae on the tubes when they are wet them it makes sense for the white powder to just be dried algae.

Thanks you guys for helpful sharings. Im glad to find this place.
I change water 50% 1 or 2 times a week. Everything seems to be ok now.
Just after my last post, my guppy had tail rot and 1 platy had opened wound. They were gone adter 3 days. I think the white powder is algea and there are harmful bateria in my tank too. Do i need a uv sterilizer?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have another bowl with 1 male betta. Can i keep it in my 29gal tank with platis, mollies? I feel sorry for him to live alone.

The sliminess is probably just biofilm. That's not algae. I think it can dry white.

It is possible the betta will be fine in the tank, but not for sure. One LFS here who does bettas in community tanks puts the odds at 85% being friendly.

And of course you want the tank healthy first.

Did you get the ammonia down to zero?

I am far from that. I got 3ppm ammonia and 3-4ppm nitrite now last night. It was 4ppm ammonia and 0 nitrie before. I change 50% water twice a week and havent added any fish. Hope it will drop soon.

I am far from that. I got 3ppm ammonia and 3-4ppm nitrite now last night. It was 4ppm ammonia and 0 nitrie before. I change 50% water twice a week and havent added any fish. Hope it will drop soon.

Dont feel alone. My fishless cycle is at 2ppm ammonia, 5ppm nitrite, and 0 ppm nitrate. Good luck with your cycle. Zantow

Dont feel alone. My fishless cycle is at 2ppm ammonia, 5ppm nitrite, and 0 ppm nitrate. Good luck with your cycle. Zantow

Lol, your tank is fishless. Do you guys think I should add a small circulation pump?

Yeah it's running. It's a HOB aquaclear 50. I leave at back corner. And I am planning put the circulation pump at the opposie side. Should I?

Back
Top Bottom