PWC advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikem691

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 75 gallon with 4 small angels 2 small clown loaches and a pleco about 4" My tank has been cycled for about a month now and I have an emperor 400 and 280 for filters. My ammonia and nitrites are always 0 and in a week my nitrates are never above 5.0. All the reading ive done said nitrates arent realy bad unless at or above 40. Im doing weekly PWC's at about 40%. I think Im over doing the water changes because my tank is way under stocked at the moment and was wondering what everyone else thought.

Partial water changes do more than just export nitrate. It replenishes essential minerals that your fish, plants and bio-filter need to survive and thrive. It also replenishes buffers needed to keep your water stable. Personally, I would continue on with what you are doing. "If it ain't broke don't fix it."

i do a 20% water change every 3rd day. there are several different ways of thinking when it comes to water changes. some like to do a large water change once a week like you and others prefer to change smaller amounts more often. i do a gravel cleaning once a week and take out extra water at that time.(about 30%) i think you're good with your schedule. do you do the water change on the same day as your gravel cleaning? i found that to be a great time to do a larger water change since the water is coming out along with all the gunk in the gravel anyway. i'm a great believer in water changes as fresh, clean water can save you so much grief by keeping your fish healthy. clean water is one of the best things you can do to keep your fish in top condition in my opinion. it's better to do what you can to avoid problems than try to play catch-up after they start and a clean environment is at the top of my list. :)

Partial water changes do more than just export nitrate. It replenishes essential minerals that your fish, plants and bio-filter need to survive and thrive. It also replenishes buffers needed to keep your water stable. Personally, I would continue on with what you are doing. "If it ain't broke don't fix it."

Thank you
I was so concerned with the nitrates that i forgot about the minerals and so on. My water is crystal clear and the fish have more energy than they know what to do with always serching the tank for something to get in to. I will just keep with the weekly changes.

i do a 20% water change every 3rd day. there are several different ways of thinking when it comes to water changes. some like to do a large water change once a week like you and others prefer to change smaller amounts more often. i do a gravel cleaning once a week and take out extra water at that time.(about 30%) i think you're good with your schedule. do you do the water change on the same day as your gravel cleaning? i found that to be a great time to do a larger water change since the water is coming out along with all the gunk in the gravel anyway. i'm a great believer in water changes as fresh, clean water can save you so much grief by keeping your fish healthy. clean water is one of the best things you can do to keep your fish in top condition in my opinion. it's better to do what you can to avoid problems than try to play catch-up after they start and a clean environment is at the top of my list. :)

Thanks for the info I do vac the substraite at about 20% at a time but with 15" total of fish in 75 Gallons of water it realy dont get dirty.

that's true that you don't have very many fish in that size aquarium. you might consider adding some since i believe you can have a problem with your beneficial bacteria if there isn't enough fish waste in the tank. your bb will grow or die off depending on the bioload. however when you do add more fish you must do so a few at a time as the bb will need to catch up to the heavier bio-load so you don't get an ammonia spike that can harm your fish. when i added fish i did 2-3 at a time and kept testing my ammonia everyday . i'd wait a week or so and if my tests came back good, then i'd do the same thing until i got all my stock in. i have a 45 gal. you could probably add a few more fish each time than i did with your 75.

Back
Top Bottom