Q re: fishless cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PeteM

Aquarium Advice Newbie
First let me say that I am new to this forum and am finding a lot of good advice. I have been out of the hobby for a while but have decided to start up a tank that I had lent to a friend that he just returned to me. I am interested in trying a planted tank. It is a 20 gallon high. My question is the procedure for cycling a planted tank, specifically at what point are the plants added? Before the cycling is started or after the tank has cycled but before the fish are added? Will adding straight ammonia to the as per the method in the sticky above be harmful to plants or can they withstand it? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Plants can be added to the tank at any point. They'll actually use the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate as fertilizer.

BigJim said:
Plants can be added to the tank at any point. They'll actually use the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate as fertilizer.

Plants also use the ammonia and nitrite? I thought it was only the nitrate? Maybe the ammonia from fish poop n the gravel. But I don't really know anything. I'm also learning. Still not done with cycling my first tank.

If you have enough plants, it's possible to have a "silent" cycle with fish where you don't see appreciable amounts of ammonia or nitrite because the plants use it all up.

Back
Top Bottom