QT - cycling (almost done), minimum ammonia to keep it going?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Linwood

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've got a big tank that I am starting soon, so decided it was time to do a quarantine tank for real. I have a 10G tank, moved some media over and a HOB filter, and a tiny amount of substrate.

Aside: I also wanted a few more Ramshorn snails, and to figure out what some mystery baby snails were (not Mystery Snails, but snails which were a mystery). So some grass with Ramshorn eggs went in along with 4 of these unknowns as tiny babies.

Dosed to 2ppm, maybe 3ppm occasionally, tank is starting to cycle (am getting nitrates, but nitrites are still high, ammonia is now gone each day).

I am not ready to put any fish in it yet, and want to just keep it alive, but don't want to drive myself nuts with water changes either.

What's a reasonable minimum ammonia to make sure the BB stays alive, but minimizes the amount processed into nitrates, so I can effectively put the tank "on hold" until I need it? Maybe 2 weeks.

Note: the tiny snails aren't generating enough to do anything real.

The bb should last a few months and just go dormant but adding new fish can cause a mini-cycle in the QT (just when you don't want it). I just have some filter pad in the DT than can be put in the QT as needed.

Back
Top Bottom