Ram cichlid compatibility?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicktrubilla

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 20 gallon tank with 1 powder blue dwarf gourami (male), a fancy guppy, 5 neon tetra, a clown pleco, and a mystery snail. I'm wondering about adding maybe a Ram cichlid or two to the tank. The only thing in my tank that the gourami is aggressive towards seems to be the snail every once in a while. What do you guys think, in terms of compatibility? :thanks:

nicktrubilla said:
I have a 20 gallon tank with 1 powder blue dwarf gourami (male), a fancy guppy, 5 neon tetra, a clown pleco, and a mystery snail. I'm wondering about adding maybe a Ram cichlid or two to the tank. The only thing in my tank that the gourami is aggressive towards seems to be the snail every once in a while. What do you guys think, in terms of compatibility? :thanks:

I could see potential problems with the gourami and guppy. If the gourami is aggressive I wouldn't get it. Too risky and with the guppy it might nip it's tail.

I would think it's hit or miss but most likely the rams and the dwarf gourami will show some aggression to each other. If you have a heavily planted tank with lots of hiding spots, it might work. It also depends on the personality of the gourami and the rams you get. Its probably not recommended, but not completely out of the question. Try asking the LFS in which you plan to get the rams if they'd allow you to return them if there's some signs of incompatibility (unless you have other tanks to separate them).

@Samzter my Gourami and my guppy ignore each other and there's never been an issue between them. There was never a point where I was concerned about their co-existance.

@Brian Unfortunately for me, my LFS is a petsmart in another town. The only small business fish store I have in a reasonable distance from my house is way more expensive and their tanks look poorly maintained (sick-looking and dead fish, employees give me contradicting information on different visits, crowded tanks.) The Petsmart is actually a lot nicer with a decent stock of some difficult-to-care-for fish, which leads me to believe it's a better choice.

Petsmart is fine actually.. Its still considered a "LFS".. Albeit, not privately owned. They have a 14 day fish guarantee which would give you ample time to assess the compatibility between your gourami and rams. Don't be too alarmed to see some aggression in the first 48 hours, it should subside after but if not, you can return them within the 14 days with receipt. Just make sure, to reduce aggression and stress, you have hiding spots provided by decor and plants. Rams are also super sensitive fish, so make sure your tank water is in pristine condition. Have you tested your water lately for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates? If everything checkout and you get the rams, take extra steps to acclimate them to your tank water before introducing them.

nicktrubilla said:
@Samzter my Gourami and my guppy ignore each other and there's never been an issue between them. There was never a point where I was concerned about their co-existance.

@Brian Unfortunately for me, my LFS is a petsmart in another town. The only small business fish store I have in a reasonable distance from my house is way more expensive and their tanks look poorly maintained (sick-looking and dead fish, employees give me contradicting information on different visits, crowded tanks.) The Petsmart is actually a lot nicer with a decent stock of some difficult-to-care-for fish, which leads me to believe it's a better choice.

I wasn't on about the gourami and guppy, I was on about the ram and both of them... :L

I had a ram go after a guppy and drag him across the bottom of the tank. I got the guppy out. It is all about fish personality and you never know that until you get one.

twoodrough said:
I had a ram go after a guppy and drag him across the bottom of the tank. I got the guppy out. It is all about fish personality and you never know that until you get one.

Well in that case, I'll expand on the tank with just a few more guppies and tetra. The guppy I have now is my nigga, and I won't be risking Ajax for any newcomer. He helped cycle my tank and I want to repay him with a good home. Params are 0,0, and 10 nitrate, 7.6 pH, 79 degrees F btw.

Back
Top Bottom