Recomend some species for my preschool's tank please!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish Heads

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All,

Please give some fish suggestions for my daughter's preschool tank. The LFS want to sell me pH adjusters which is out of the question for this low maintenance tank. (Volunteers can change water, but I can't expect them to do anything besides use a declorinator.) I'm looking for a fish or two with personality that stay small. What will live well in the following parameters?

It is a 29 gallon planted tank with low light. It is running a penuin power filter with biowheel. a 200? Currently the pH is at a stable 8.0, KH is at 5 degrees and GH at 8 degrees.

Existing fish are 1 2" marble angel (has lived forever), 1 albino rainbow shark, 4 gold variety rosy barbs (new), and 2 albino cherry barbs (new), and one left over amano shrimp.

Ater doing many water changes, I have been able to reduce the GH of this neglected tank down from over 20 degrees to about 8 degrees of hardness. (Amazing how no water changes over the years will eventually add up)

I will be adding additional lighting to increase plant options.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!!

1) how much light are you thinking, plants are cool, but the more light you add the more work they are to keep alive. if you are staying low light (~1 watt per gallon) you can still grow a decent variety of plants, with little work.

as far as fish...

you are pretty well stocked up IMO, maybe some snails, or cory catfish...

if you are not attached to the fish already in the tank i could suggest more fun fish

Thanks for the response.

I am not attached to these fish at all, the children might miss the angel. (I am amazed that it has lived this long under the conditions)

The only factor is my next to nothing budget. ( I have wants in my own fish room)

My own daughter loves her Yo-Yo botia in my tank at home. It grows too big for this 29 gallon, is too sensitive, and too hard to come by. I would love to have some other fish that are as personable or comical.

I will be either adding a double tube florescent at 40 watts or the Coralife Compact at 65 watts. The existing 17 watt fixture might be able to grow java ferns at best. I will be adding a new substrate. Eco-Complete is expensive. Any suggestions?

I have been growing out some java ferns, Crypt Wentii, an anubias (fogot which one) for the tank. I have some driftwood. I would love to hear some recommendations on plants.

I don't have any experience at this pH and hardness. Books are great but nothing beats the experience on the forums.

Fish Heads said:
Thanks for the response.

I am not attached to these fish at all, the children might miss the angel. (I am amazed that it has lived this long under the conditions)

The only factor is my next to nothing budget. ( I have wants in my own fish room)

My own daughter loves her Yo-Yo botia in my tank at home. It grows too big for this 29 gallon, is too sensitive, and too hard to come by. I would love to have some other fish that are as personable or comical.
if it was me, i would keep the angel and barbs, get some cory cats, and a couple of Dwarf Cichlids, like rams (they are colorful and IMO very entertaining) and probably get ride of the shark (to a good home of course)
I will be either adding a double tube florescent at 40 watts or the Coralife Compact at 65 watts. The existing 17 watt fixture might be able to grow java ferns at best. I will be adding a new substrate. Eco-Complete is expensive. Any suggestions?
40 watts total or two bulbs 40 watts each? either way you should have enough light. (40 watts total will keep you in the no Co2 range)
for a substrate would probabaly be fine with a fine gravel or pool filter sand. may need to add root tabs if you have plants that are heavy root feeders.
I have been growing out some java ferns, Crypt Wentii, an anubias (fogot which one) for the tank. I have some driftwood. I would love to hear some recommendations on plants.
check out the planted forum, for more ideas, but briefly...if you are running around 2 wpg you should be able to grow most plants...here are some i like and have success with at 2.5 wpg...
Amazon Sword
Anachris
Hornwort
Wysteria
if you budget is tight check out the barter and trade section... most of the plant growers here offer clippings from time to time, usually for the cost of shipping :D

I don't have any experience at this pH and hardness. Books are great but nothing beats the experience on the forums.
i would not worry too much about that, most fish and plants are pretty adaptable as long as you keep that stuff stable...

Thanks,

It would take me days to reseach this and I would still not be sure that I was doing it well.

Back
Top Bottom