Recommendations--timer & buckets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TangoTank

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I store my water in 2.5 gal drinking jugs now. I want to get buckets. What do everybody recommend I purchase, where to get them, how to prep them? Anything else I need to know??

And what's an inexpensive timer & where to get it that's best to use for my tank light? Any tips, thoughts, etc are much appreciated!! Thks!!

My timer is made by brinks. Its awesome, manual, reliable, cheap (target) and easy.

For the water, have you considered one of these tote things?

Buckets can be picked up at most hardware stores for a few of bucks each. Food grade buckets work well, but may need to be cleaned. They are often available at restaurants, bars, etc. for very cheap or free. Why are you storing your water?

i'm new and totally confused on why the water storage and what the timers for

HN1 said:
...Why are you storing your water?

I let it gas out (come to its true pH) & become room temp before I put it in the tank--I turn off the heater in advance til the temp drops to room temp in the tank. I want to temp match for BB for my fishless cycle & I'm not sure how people w/ a Python do that for their fish?? I wonder :scratch head:

Plus, I wouldn't wanna rinse a filter in a bucket of old tank water & risk tainting my BB by not using proper buckets or improperly treating the buckets. I guess the things I wanna hear are how I need to treat the buckets after each use or prep them for first use. Don't wanna make any mistakes & risk ruining my FOREVER fishless cycle!! Thanks for everybody's replies & help!

christine2012 said:
This one holds 18 gallons.

I spent a whopping 8 dollars on it.

So how do you fill it & get it to your tank?? Or do your hoses reach? It'd be 180lbs!! I keep my jugs in my spare bathroom's shower, then lug the jugs over by the tank to let the temp adjust & match up.

TangoTank said:
So how do you fill it & get it to your tank?? Or do your hoses reach? It'd be 180lbs!! I keep my jugs in my spare bathroom's shower, then lug the jugs over by the tank to let the temp adjust & match up.

Lol! I drag that sucker and bucket it in! Its only about 20 feet though. On hardwood. For temp matching, I use a digital thermometer, but I can only adjust temps via treated tap water, its simple!

As for the buckets, they don't need anything. I air dry mine between uses because I use the same one for all my tanks.

I have 5 gallon buckets with lids. Got some at Petco for $8 with lid included, others I got in lowes in painting dept- bucket and lid sold separately for $5 total. Pretty easy to carry the 5gal to the tank. And the lids are very secure, so nothing gets in and they don't spill. They stack well too, so don't take up too much space. And I don't have a RO system yet, so it's a good size that I can take to the store to get RO water.

Are you using a dechlorinator? Are you sure that your water is chlorine treated vs chloramine? Aging water only matters if it is aged to gas off chlorine and achieve true pH.

HN1 said:
Are you using a dechlorinator? Are you sure that your water is chlorine treated vs chloramine? Aging water only matters if it is aged to gas off chlorine and achieve true pH.

IDK what is used in my tap but I believe Chloramine b/c of the ammonia readings that show up on tests of fresh tap water. My pH is different for straight out of the tap as for gassed out water. My main concern is temp match. I don't trust that water coming straight outta my faucet won't fluctuate in temp as it goes directly into my tank, not worth the risk to me! I have 3 bathrooms & 3 kids, I'm afraid somebody will run a sink or flush a toilet while I'm filling the tank. Know what I mean?? And yes on Dechlorinator, I use Prime. I appreciate the dialog b/c if I'm doing something incorrectly, I wanna know. I'm all about perfecting my hobby!

Beengirl said:
I have 5 gallon buckets with lids. Got some at Petco for $8 with lid included, others I got in lowes in painting dept- bucket and lid sold separately for $5 total. Pretty easy to carry the 5gal to the tank. And the lids are very secure, so nothing gets in and they don't spill. They stack well too, so don't take up too much space. And I don't have a RO system yet, so it's a good size that I can take to the store to get RO water.

What purpose does RO water serve? IMO it's not good for humans long term, I'd think the same for fish! I hope this doesn't ruffle feathers as it is just my opinion. what I've read, heard, etc is b/c it lacks certain amounts of minerals, it will leach your body of minerals. I don't always believe things 100% but I've heard it from enough sources that I just avoid it til I believe otherwise

I have FW and SW tanks. Use the RO water for the SW tank, and the 5 Gal buckets are a manageable size.

Is RO a must for SW? I'd think the high amount of salt in the water would make it difficult for FW organisms to live--i.e. changing their osmotic state rapidly when adding your salt. Also, do you add any minerals to the RO water? And maybe do just some people need to use RO b/c their KH & GH are just very undesirable?

You're going to need to develope a different system. You want to temp match your tank, but you don't want to be lowering the temp of the tank everytime you do a water change, especially once you add fish. Buy another heater for the tub or buckets and raise the temp to match your tank. Personally I find both the large rubbermaid tub and the 5 gallon buckets to be a pain in the rear (can't imagine that dragging a full tub across a hardwood floor would be good for it either). I buy 3 gallon buckets from the local paint supply store, much easier to lug around and move. If you're having to store the water, I would maybe buy a rubbermaid tub, let it sit in one spot and temp match the tub, then use your syphon or buckets to get the water to the tank. In regards to RO water in freshwater, I agree with you completely. Unless you are adding minerals back into the water, or your hardness/pH is way too far out of wack, you don't want to be using it. Dechlorinated water straight from the tap is going to be much better for the fish.

Wy Renegade said:
You're going to need to develope a different system. You want to temp match your tank, but you don't want to be lowering the temp of the tank everytime you do a water change, especially once you add fish. Buy another heater for the tub or buckets and raise the temp to match your tank. Personally I find both the large rubbermaid tub and the 5 gallon buckets to be a pain in the rear (can't imagine that dragging a full tub across a hardwood floor would be good for it either). I buy 3 gallon buckets from the local paint supply store, much easier to lug around and move. If you're having to store the water, I would maybe buy a rubbermaid tub, let it sit in one spot and temp match the tub, then use your syphon or buckets to get the water to the tank. In regards to RO water in freshwater, I agree with you completely. Unless you are adding minerals back into the water, or your hardness/pH is way too far out of wack, you don't want to be using it. Dechlorinated water straight from the tap is going to be much better for the fish.

I won't be using the heater w/ fish. My house is 77/78 degrees year around--we're in South Florida. Would probably only use heater during brief cold snaps which would amount to about 3 days a year. I can't leave a large tub to temp match near my tank. 3 gal buckets seem to put me right back where I'm at using 2.5 gal jugs, not much diff. I'm trying to save lugging time & conserve some space. Should 5 gal buckets become unmanageable, it's good to know 3 gal buckets are an option. Thks!

Wy Renegade said:

Amen! I think ur going through way too much work than tanks really need. Most FW tanks don't need ro water unless ur source is just bad. Having said that, u need to supplement ro water to make it useful for fish and/or plants. JMO.

Back
Top Bottom