Returning to tanks, looking for advice on doing it properly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bullhead

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So, I've previously owned a 20L (which i certainly overstocked) and later 55 tall (similarly overdone), and while I did properly learn about the nitrogen cycle/etc I still was very much a rookie with my fishkeeping. Eventually got frustrated and sold off everything but the 20L (which I intend to use as a QT).

I've picked up a nice 55g acryllic with sump from CL, and am trying to properly research setup + fish so I don't make the same mistakes (and so the fish are healthy/happy).

Tank Here

Sump Here

I've also got a really nice 300 watt heater (rated up to 75gal) and a decent air pump with the deal, along with two lights (although I will prob. replace these). I've gone out and purchased an API FW test kit, python (loved my prior one), and ace ammonia (along with misc stuff) so i'm ready to fishless cycle it once I get the tank setup (currently shopping for a stand, the metal one it came with isn't even level, will probably build one).

So, for the questions -

1) I LOVE oscars (I had two small ones in my 55), but I'm aware this tank is far too small for that (next tank!). I've also had various (god knows what) rift lake cichlids, also enjoyed them a lot. My preference is to go with another cichlid tank, although I'm open to suggestions. The tank is going to be setup in my living room, so it will see a decent amount of foot traffic going by along with light/sound from the TV (so I imagine I'll need non-skittish fish). I'd also prefer to have a large number of smaller fish versus small number of larger fish. Would love suggestions one what to stock (including the support fish like plecos/cats).

2) Is that sump good enough for filtration, or should I look at upgrading (possibly using the 20L as one)? From what I could google up on it, it appears to be an Aqualine sump rated to 450gph, 75g max tank, with a 10 gal capacity (measures 17h x 20l x 8w at the max, 12h at the lowest).

3) Having never used a sump before (emp 400 HoB x2 on my old 55), anything special with maintenance on them? Are they fairly self-sufficient/maint-free?

4) Anything else I'm forgetting/neglecting or that you want to beat me up on? :D

Hi and welcome! Looks like a nice tank! If you want Cichlids, you might want to ask this in the Cichlid forum; you'll get more replies there from Cichlid owners. There are lots of CIchlids as you know and not all are compatable. If you want smaller fish, dwarf cichlids might be a good choice. I have no idea about the sump as I've never used one; the other forum might know more though or you can ask on the hardware forum.

Back
Top Bottom