Sand for Dwarf Puffer?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

astronomicallee123

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am getting some of these guys and I know they are scale-less so they can tear themselves up. What sort if substrate would you guys recommend? I mean the exact name, brand and all so I know where to look for if!

I used aqua terra brand sand for my dwarf puffer tank. Beware of the dye though... After I put it in i freaked out when my water turned GREEN. I had to empty the tank and repeatedly rinse the sand to get the extra dye out but it worked out good in the end.

Its expensive online but I found it while browsing at a local tropical fish store. It was like 4 bucks for a 5lb bag. If by some odd chance your on long Island I can give you the name of the store...
My local petco and pets mart did not have it

Attached is a pic of my puffers, their tank and their big friend puff-bler (fake puffer bubbler) :-D

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130315_001927.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130315_001927.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 112
Does it come in different colors? I would assume so. Unfortunately I live in NC so that would help lol. I like your tank, it looks great!

Well I found this. Is this correct? Was like 60$ on Amazon for the same amount.

Attachments

• image-2663936521.jpg
    image-2663936521.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 72
That's the stuff. It comes In a lot of other colors too. Me personally, I HAD to have green :)

I read a lot about different types of sand people use, and then they dye it to the color they want but I decided I wasn't experienced enough to go that route and just bought the colored sand made for aquariums. Dwarf puffers are said to be sensitive fish so I didn't want to take any chances.

Cool thanks! Any advice on cleaning it when I do water changes? I don't want it all to get sucked up.

Thanks for the compliment :)

The sand is fine enough where any debris won't get stuck in the substrate like it does gravel. I just hover over the sand bit with the vacuum instead of going into it.

I lose a tiny bit (<1/4tsp) when I do wc but it's gonna be a long time before I have to start worrying about adding more

Back
Top Bottom