Seachem Stability = Cloudiness?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

musicman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have been cycling my 5g with fish for three weeks now and I am yet to see any sign of nitrites. I have been watching my ammonia slowly climb and after three weeks I've started to worry.

NH3 (3-4ppm), NO2 (0ppm), NO3 (5ppm), pH (7.8), Temp (76 F)

I began using Seachem Stabiity as directed every day for four days now. My tank has become increasingly cloudier with each day of use. It is a milky grey kind of cloudiness. I don't know if I should keep using the Stability, or if I should stop.

Has anyone else had problems with cloudiness when using a bacteria supplement product?

Last edited:
It's a bacterial bloom which is a good thing. I don't put much stock in Stability. The only product that I have used that works is Bio Spira.

If the bacteria supplement product has not been kept refrigerated than it more than likely doesn't have any live bacteria in it. It might have spores which will help marginally. Also you need to change your water immediately!!!! 3-4ppm is ridiculous!!! Your fish won't last long with that. .5 parts is dangerous. You need to change out 80% or more of your water and get it lower. That will help with the clowdyness. And I used another "bacteria in a bottle" product and it made my tank more clowdy.

BTW, if you go to the lfs they will sell you a clarifying product. They will claim that it will take it away. Don't buy it. Wate of money. The cloudiness will go away.

And I agree, water changes are needed ASAP.

The only clarity product that really works is carbon but it needs replacing but i've heard a lot of good words about seachem purigen. It can be renewed and doesn't need replacing aswell :)

Did a 40% water change. Should help the ammonia concentration if anything. Noticed that the water is the color of diluted urine.

a 40% water change still leaves with 60% of the original ammonia which if it was 3ppm is now 1.8 ppm. You now need to do another 80% change which would bring you down closer to .36 ppm which is closer to a safe range. Also changing your filter cartridge with a new carbon filter will help clarity.

Yay! Nitrites!

I have kept up with my daily testing and I have recently gotten my first Nitrites (0.5ppm) and my ammonia is on its way down. (a little under 2ppm)
The tank is still cloudy but I'm less worried now that I know can confirm results.

The urine colour will be tannins leaching from your drift wood (if you have any) as I said before add some seachem purigen or activated carbon to your filter and it will go away. Just make sure to change the carbon ever few weeks

Back
Top Bottom