Seeding material?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mPhish

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm getting a 2.5 betta tank almost for sure, and I'd like to fishless cycle this time. I'm looking at the fishless cycling article on this forum and it says I need seeding material. I've got a 10gal i can get stuff from, but everything is covered in black algae. Is it still ok to use some gravel from it, or will my new tank become algae infested?
:thanks:
I've never fishless cycled before, so any tips would be appreciated. :)

If you cut off some the filter media from the 10 gallon's filter cartridge or stick the new filter cartridge in the 10 gallon's filter and put it in the new filter it will be instant cycled that's what I've done with all my tanks and have had no problems ? if you do that though you will want to watch the parameters for a day or so to make sure it did actually instant cycled.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

I use carbon filters, I don't think I can cut those :razz: thanks tho

I used carbon filters but what I did was stick the new cartridge in the old filter for like a month then put that new filter cartridge in the the new filter then it's INSTA CYCLED!! lol

I did this twice and it worked great ?

Oh smart! I'll use that as seeding material! Thx!

Any other tips from anybody would be welcome!

Back
Top Bottom