Setting up new tank - will this be okay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heartsx2

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,

I will be setting up a low-light planted community tank soon and I want to make sure everything I intend to do is okay...

29 gallon
Emporer Double Bio-Wheel filter
Magnum 350 canister filter
Standard gravel (small in size)
Coralife F/W T-5 Aqualight Double Strip Light-30"

Plants
1 - Java Fern
1 - Cryptocoryne
1 - Anubias Nana
1 - Anubias Barteri Round Leaf
2 - Water Sprite
2 - Anacharis

Fish
9 - Gouramis (3 variations)
6 - Assorted Platies
4 - Assorted Mollies
6 - Assorted Guppies (most fancy)
2 - Boesmani Rainbow
1 - Clown Pleco
1 - Bristle-nose Pleco
1 - Pim Pictus

Does anyone see any problems with this? Anything I'm missing or need to know? With plants, fish, or equipment? This is for a low-light setup.

Thanks for any help!!
Denise

Can I have this tank setup? LOL. All kidding aside, the equipment and plants look excellent. I just have some thoughts about the stocking. You may be overstocked by a bit and the livebearer's will add to this issue with their eventual fry.

gotta agree, the stocking is too much. i'd ditch the guppies, as they'll surely breed and then you'll be really over stocked.

I have no idea :) I'm not really sure how much space the plants I listed will take up. I'd prefer it not to be too heavy into plants though. Just enough to look nice and also give the fish room to swim around.

So once I have the tank setup, the plants added and filters running, I should add 50% fish right?
A couple days after the tank is setup with plants?
Then gradually add a couple fish per week after that?
Or do I wait to stock the second 50% after the tank has cycled out after 6 weeks?
And what order would be best for stocking the list above (minus a few guppies)? Thanks!

This method discusses saltwater... I am not starting up a saltwater tank.
I've also seen methods that mention adding amonia to the tank to cycle it. I question what affects this would have on the plants.

just search for fishless cycle... it is just written as a saltwater article.. fishless cycling is for any water type....
most aquatic plants consume ammonia (before NO3) as a nutrient.. It would not harm the plants..

My canister filter currently has a bunch of chem-stars in it from a turtle/fish tank. The filter was just turned off yesterday from another tank but still has water in it. I was hoping to just hook this up to the new tank and get a jump start on the cycling process. Because of this I thought it would be safe to start out with some fish. Thoughts?

I would be conserned about how healthy this might be.. also some of your bactarica could have died without O2 being added (air-stone with air pump would have kept them alive.. I would get a second oppinion on this.. maybe PM toirtus.

Back
Top Bottom