So tell me what ya think.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedFish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Okay, First of all I would like to thank you all for having me here at Aquarium Advice.

So here is my situation. About a month ago, for what ever reason I got super jazzed about setting up a tropical freshwater planted tank. Since then, I have been, everyday, diligently researching away on all the different ideas, blogs, and forums on info to get me started. What I've found is a wealth of knowledge and things I never would have thought to be important. So I have purchased most of the gear minus a few things but I just want to get some of your opinions on weather or not I have the gist of things and the right equipment for it.

Specs:

Tank:
Aqueon 29 gallon on oak stand.
Filter: Fluval 205 with bio rings mechanical sponge and polishing pad with Phos-Ban at the bottom of the basket.
Heater: Fluval E 100 Watt.
Lighting: Coralife 130 Watt 6700k 30". I will take of acrylic shield and place on glass top. I will also have them on timers to come on in a cycle.
CO2: I want to use 2 Hagen Plant-Gro Naturals. I know there's a lot of DIY and the best bet would be Pressurized systems but I don't think I'm on that level yet.
Substrate/Ferts: On the bottom layer I am using a bag of Flourite and then a gravel top of conga rock. Not sure if i will use root tabs yet or something like Seachem Equilibrium.
H20: Luckily I have an unlimited free supply of RO water do to a family members job. So i will be using 2 fifteen gallon jugs to fill up and transport my water. I will fill the tank once, then refill the two fifteen gallon jugs (which are food grade BTW) to keep them for water changes. I am using RO Right for reconstituting my water.
Accessories: You know these are cleaning utensils and the such no need for a description here.

To cycle my Aquarium I plan on taking my time adding a little bit of Cycle and then adding plants first then Some starter fish. I was thinkin something like Black Phantoms or some minnos. Later i will Add a few SAE or Ottos. My plants will be amazon sword dwarf baby tears cabomba java fern and java moss. At first i will do weekly water changes of 20-30% and gradually taper of to a 50 Once a month or twice a month.

So what do you think. Please question and comment. I really Appreciate it.

~RedFish~

the only problem i see is the glaring fish added to start a cycle, the others will soon be here telling you to do fishless cycling, and how to as well, it will save you some money and heartbreak

Yes, research the fishless cycle. You may have a tank sitting without fish but it is much easier on them once you do get fish.

The biggest thing I can see is high light and CO2 but no mention of using any ferts. I really don't consider root tabs ferts because a lot of plants don't really get their nutrients from the tabs anyway (swords and such do so you should get them for the amazon). You really need to start researching what ferts to add. I made this mistake early on and had nothing but an algea farm. People will recommend dry ferts and at first I fought it but turns out, don't fight the croud :)

Good luck! Post pictures!

Back
Top Bottom