Soft water question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nigoodman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm still in the midst of a fish in cycle with 2 female DGs and 3 zebra dainos. My next addition once my cycling is complete will probably be 1 or two blue rams with some corys. I read that blue rams need soft water. Any recommendations on what I can do to prepare my water for them. I have an aquoen filter that came with the 29 gallon kit it's a quiet flow. Would you guys reccommend softener pillows in the filter?

Hello Ni...

My researcher friend on Rams tells me this species is a little on the aggressive side and not a good beginner fish, because in a new tank, the chemistry can sometimes change. These cichlids don't tolerate tap water with a pH above 7 and like warmer water, 80 degrees. They'll do best in a large tank that's been up and running for quite a while and is heavily planted.

B

Hello Ni...

My researcher friend on Rams tells me this species is a little on the aggressive side and not a good beginner fish, because in a new tank, the chemistry can sometimes change. These cichlids don't tolerate tap water with a pH above 7 and like warmer water, 80 degrees. They'll do best in a large tank that's been up and running for quite a while and is heavily planted.

B

I don't entirely agree with this. Most rams you see in shops are tank raised. So they can come from a wide range of parameters. I've kept GBRs in a tank with a pH of 7.8 and they were perfectly fine and even bred. I do agree that they need a established tank which has being running for ideally 4 months. To soften your water you can try adding driftwood, but don't rinse it as much. ( hopefully you don't mind tannins) you could try peat in the filter, or a R.O system. By the way, when you say female DG, do you mean the ones in your profile pic? Because that's a male. Females are quite hard to find in the aquarium trade due to their lack of colour. They are usually silver.

I don't entirely agree with this. Most rams you see in shops are tank raised. So they can come from a wide range of parameters. I've kept GBRs in a tank with a pH of 7.8 and they were perfectly fine and even bred. I do agree that they need a established tank which has being running for ideally 4 months. To soften your water you can try adding driftwood, but don't rinse it as much. ( hopefully you don't mind tannins) you could try peat in the filter, or a R.O system. By the way, when you say female DG, do you mean the ones in your profile pic? Because that's a male. Females are quite hard to find in the aquarium trade due to their lack of colour. They are usually silver.

The one in my profile pic is my male that died. I only have two females and they are definitely females. And if it's safer for the fish ill wait a while and maybe in half a year or so ill move onto a blue ram.

Back
Top Bottom