Started my fishless cycle!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello! My test readings today are: Ammonia 1ppm (I think I added 3ml of ammo yesterday instead of 2), nitrates still more pink than purple, nitrates seem lighter today at 5ppm which is what my tap reads and ph7.6....any input?

Hmm...I encountered something similar with nitrates dropping the first time I did a fishless cycle. Do you have any plants? If not, dont worry! The important thing is you have conversion happening. Go ahead & add some amm to bring it back up to 2-3 range & we will see how things look tommorrow. :)

Nope, no plants. No decor at all! I've already left to go shopping for stuff so i'll dose when I get home this afternoon. Should i re-test before I dose to see if it's dropped more?

You can check the amm to see if its dropped further. I wouldnt worry about checking anything else for today. Have fun shopping!

So i just tested my ammo again. Its between. 25 & .50 (closer to the lower) should I redose or wait for morning?

Your nitrites are still up there so it wont hurt if you skip dosing for today & see how things look tommorrow. We just have to wait for your nitrites to start dropping & you will be done (hardest part)!

I will check in the morning.....getting excited! Thanks for all your help jlk. I really appreciate it :)

Something I forgot (just read back through whole thread), do you have access to any cycled media (friend or your lfs)? This will speed things up further if you do. Your tank will cycle without it- not necessity. If you are interested in purchasing an 'active' (seeded with bb) filter, quite a few members have had success with Angelsplus filters. Not necessary though!

Sponge Filters for aquariums

I don't have any friends w/aquariums and I'd be afraid to take anything from the pet shop down the street and our local chain stores don't do it. Will I be OK without?

Yes, you will be fine!!! Your tank will still cycle without an issue- it just takes a bit longer than using seeded media. :)

My test results today: ammo is less than .25 but definately not 0 yet, nitrites are starting to get close to 5.0ppm (not as pink anymore), nitrates 5.0ppm (same as tap water) and Ph is 7.6

Ok! Your finishing up the amm>nitrite conversion phase. We just have to wait out the nitrite>nitrate phase. :)

Lets just dose a low dose for today (@2)- dont be surprised if your nitrites are really high tommorrow. FYI, if you notice the bottom of tube changing colors before you even shake it, they are really high.

I'll dose 2ml today....when I put the drops in & they hit bottom before I shake, they are a dark purple!! Good or bad?

It just means you have really high nitrites (higher than the 5 on the test). If they dont start to come down in another wk or so (or your ph drops), it may be time for another water change. No worries!

Back
Top Bottom