Starting over

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mom2reds

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well kind of starting over, back to the basics I guess. I have a 75 gal. Freshwater planted aquarium. I currently have Eco complete substrate lightly planted I have six neon tetras and one Odessa barb one bn pleco and five amano shrimp, this is all the stock I have left. In the last 7 months I have lost 7 honey gouramies 7 Odessa barbs and 8 neon tetras. We moved in sept. And now we live in the country and have well water that is very hard so we have a water softener through out the whole house. I am using r/o water in my tank and r/o right. But my plants are dieing as well as my fish.
As of today I am heading out to get a new API test kit mine is about 12 y.o so time for a new one. I will post results latter as I get them. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Tess

Hi. You're very wise to get a new test kit. I would recommend the API freshwater master test kit and the API Kh and Gh test kit.
I have a similar tank set up to you but my tap water is Very soft, so I harden it to Kh 6 and Gh 6. Ph sits at 7. I use Seachem Flourish comprehensive fert and flourish root tabs for my crypts. I also use Excel (Glut) as a carbon source. Fish are doing well and plants are out of control (in a good way). Also, my Eco is well populated with Malayan Trumpet Snails which keep the substrate well turned over and aerated.
I don't know if any of that is of some help!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

From my understanding RO/DI water, while its great, also removes all those trace elements your plants need. You will likely need to dose ferts to substitute.

The fish cycling is very odd. Was the tank cycled?

Caleb

Well tested the tank water this morning, before water change.
PH. 8.2 ... Wow
Ammonia, nitrate and nitrite all 0.
I will test my well water soon. I have only used it sparingly maybe mixing it 5 gallons to 15 gallons of my RO water. My ro system only makes about a gallon an hour.

My well water has a PH of 7.4 ammonia 0, nitrite 0, and nitrate is 80... Wow...
Still not sure if I should use my well water or not. I know that it is very hard, I do not have a gh test kit, but I am more concerned with the mineral content, it has a sulfur smell to it after it sits out for a while.

What do YALL think??

Definitely would check the GH/KH levels.

Tank looks cycled to me. Do large water changes to bring nitrates back down below 20 and you are set.

pH will be fine. Check right after the water changes. If you really want to lower it add some driftwood. Or peat moss to the filter.

Caleb

Caleb, I know that my tank is cycled I have had it up and running for a year in this tank but my set up was moved over from a tank that I had running for 10 years. I just can't figure out what is killing off my fish. The first set of numbers came from my tank and the secound set came from my well water. Any ideas on what is killing my fish, and do you think I should use my well water I know it is really really hard.

Caleb, I know that my tank is cycled I have had it up and running for a year in this tank but my set up was moved over from a tank that I had running for 10 years. I just can't figure out what is killing off my fish. The first set of numbers came from my tank and the secound set came from my well water. Any ideas on what is killing my fish, and do you think I should use my well water I know it is really really hard.

Sorry I follow so many "new" threads to people just starting tanks I got mixed up ;) I think the nitrates are a contributing factor. 80 is quite high. Could also be trace elements leaching from your pipes if they are old.

Caleb

Sorry I follow so many "new" threads to people just starting tanks I got mixed up ;) I think the nitrates are a contributing factor. 80 is quite high. Could also be trace elements leaching from your pipes if they are old.

Caleb
No problem I appreciate all the help! Do you think just mixing in 5 gallons of well water with my ro water when I do water changes would cause the deaths?

No problem I appreciate all the help! Do you think just mixing in 5 gallons of well water with my ro water when I do water changes would cause the deaths?

I would call the water company or have your well water tested. If you live near farms the fertilizers could leach things into the water that are fish for us but in excess levels are toxic to fish.

Caleb

Well finally got an API Gh& Kh test kit.
My Gh shows35.8 it tools 2 drops for it to change
My KH shows 11 it took 11 drops...

Please explain what this means for my aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom