Starting up again.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BettaMan01

Aquarium Advice Activist
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396293654.428602.jpg
Cleaned out the tank, washed the gravel and reused it. Filled the thing up and put in a few decorations. There are things floating in the water, I'm guessing from the gravel, trying to decide whether to restart it again and add new gravel or just leave it as is and keep the filter running to see if it clears up

Is there anytime of cleanup crew for freshwater tanks? Would enjoy some recommendations :). So far I'm thinking this will be a primarily guppy tank.

It should settle within a day. No worries.
Are you worried about algae? What size is it? Looks smallish - 5, 10?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396295302.693718.jpg
Actually, might be 25. Sorry I got it for $10 at a garage sale no packaging or anything

Nvm about the stuff floating around, it's cleared up a lot now thanks to the filter

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396368389.108707.jpg
It's nothing fancy but I got some spiraling bamboo in there, a piece of driftwood with a hold for growing a plant through. Also got some black mystery snails, ones white though lol. Gonna put a few shells in there as decoration and get plants every so often, I'm liking the bamboo look I may kind of go for more like that.

I have some Malaysian Trumpet Snails in the mail on their way to add, I'll also be getting a loach or two, or maybe a crab or two to keep snails from overpopulating. I'm also looking to get some cherry red shrimp in the tank too. Water is very clear now I ended up putting three filters in to speed the cleaning process and all of it was gone overnight.

Now I'm just trying to figure out how to stock it, I like the idea of guppies but will need a place to sell them when they reproduce, iv also found my betta a mate and he's perked up a little, I'm told only 5-8 of the 50 or so spawn they'll hatch will actually survive so I'll see how that goes.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396369686.363249.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396369788.616140.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396369845.097010.jpg
That last pic is of the ghostshrimp, they're young so very hard to see

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396370796.213127.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396370810.367485.jpg
Snails are already coming out and moving around, only took like 30 minutes

sell them too the LFS or if you have a betta fish put him in the tank he will keep the population under control but be careful he might chase the males
mine is with a female beta and had 10 guppies with her
try and find a small betta as they live bad enough and save him from being in a tiny bowl

Iv got a few betta's, they're located randomly throughout the house for decoration. Someone recommended I get 3 angelfish in there then a few guppies. I'd like to know if the betta fish method has been done before by someone you know before putting one in there then having to remove him

Iv got a few betta's, they're located randomly throughout the house for decoration. Someone recommended I get 3 angelfish in there then a few guppies. I'd like to know if the betta fish method has been done before by someone you know before putting one in there then having to remove him

Idk what the Betta fish method is, but 3 angels is a no no. They will for mating pairs and chase around the loner. They will also fin nip the guppies!

Cycling 45 Gallon. ???

Haha I don't even really like angelfish anyways, just not my type. The baby rainbow cichlids I saw looked pretty neat though. Grr trying to decide sucks lol. I do really want the guppies, just not if they'll overpopulate on me and become a bigger hassle than they need to be

Haha I don't even really like angelfish anyways, just not my type. The baby rainbow cichlids I saw looked pretty neat though. Grr trying to decide sucks lol. I do really want the guppies, just not if they'll overpopulate on me and become a bigger hassle than they need to be

You can buy only males or only females if it is that big of a deal.

Cycling 45 Gallon. ???

How do you tell the difference? They're all mixed up and at young at the place near me

How do you tell the difference? They're all mixed up and at young at the place near me

Males have bigger tails and more vibrant colors. A simple google search will give you all the info you need.

Cycling 45 Gallon. ???

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396385118.233302.jpg
Fiddler crab snuck into the tank! I was cleaning the fiddler crab tank and this guy must've clung to the net when I set it on the edge of this tank then dropped down haha

females can be much larger but that's when there grown but the males would have color and the females would be dull looking. if your lucky you'll get a nice beautiful female guppy

well my betta is the community police I have had a female betta a male betta and a bunch off guppys and tetras in the same tank. I got lcky that the male was so calm. I would get a female betta in because mine are allays more docile if they are females. but each fish has their own personality. I allways go for the smallest betta. you can even go to a LFS near me and there be a beta in a community tank.

Back
Top Bottom