Stocking a 210L tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MollyGuppy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We have bought a new tank and plan on moving our live bearers and goby into it and was looking for some ideas of what else can join them. We have 4 mollies 3 guppies and 2 platy along with the bumblebee goby. We are going to plant this tank as well so I have asked for advice on that board too.

We are looking for some nice friendly bottom feeders maybe easy to breed ones. I understand they would lay eggs but that would be cool for the kids. Any other ideas more than welcome.

Cory cats would work or shrimp. You really need to watch how much more of a bioload you have. You're kind of over the limit already. Mollys produce a huge bioload for their size. Anything that eats a plant based diet will have this issue. Plus if given the correct conditions those mollys can easily grow to 4" +.

If you want some neat for the kids, next sumer get a cheap kiddie pool and toss in a dozen baby mollys. They will get huge.

4 mollies, 3 guppies, 2 platys, and a bumblebee goby is seriously understocked for a 55g tank. You could easily add another 10 - 15 fish in that tank without too many issues.

You have quite a few options with a tank this size.

Boesmani rainbows, Praecox Rainbows, Harlequin Rasboras, Small pleco species, Gourami, More live bearers, tetras, cory cats, loaches, and german blue rams are some of the fish that could go well with those. I would suggest that you take a look at those different fish species and come back with some ideas so it will make it easier for us to help direct you :)

Bristlenose catfish would be perfect. You could get a few fry, grow them up till you're able to sex them, then keep a male and female, and sell or trade the others. They breed as readily as guppies do. Worse even!:lol:
I wouldn't obtain them all from the same source, just to ensure you are getting genetically diverse pair.

Ok I love the look of all the plecos such cute fish. Think we will get some bn. Will shop around and get them healthy from multiple suppliers. Also looking and some corys not sure what species though. And I really like the flame dwarf gouramis. What about a cool school of tetras of some kind which are the best?

With the BN plecos get a male and female if you want more than one. They will tend to fight if there are 2 males in the same tank. I have 2 male BN plecos, 1 female bn pleco, 1 orinoco angel pleco, and 1 rubber lipped pleco in my 55 and I love them all :)

As for the cory cats one of the most popular (also my favorite) species is the panda cory.

The gourami I would only get 1 unless you can get your hands on 2 females to go along with the 1 male.

Neon tetras are always popular schooling fish.

Back
Top Bottom