Stocking my 30 gallon tall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dubs1281

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey everyone. I am starting up a 30 gallon tall aquarium. Its going to have live plants and real driftwood only. Any ideas for plants? I am thinking of having a coverground plant such as dwarf hair grass or dwarf baby tears. Also I want to have Amazon sword and maybe anubis. Any other plant ideas?
Now the fun part... fish!!!
2 angels
2 German blue rams. A M&F
8 jumbo neon tetras
5 shrimp (species not determined yet)
4 nerite snails
2 pineapple sword tail
2 black liretail mollie.
The substrate I am using is eco-complete, pH is 7.3-7.5. Soft water.

Blue rams are very aggressive when breeding I belive...I would get 2 females. And Dwarf hair grass is very cool. I have some but it takes forever to carpet if you have low lighting for the heads up. You could also try pgmy sword chain for grass like effect or do a javamoss carpet?

The baby tears and hair grass is going to need lots of light and co2 in a 30 tall. I'm not saying it can't be done but it might be more trouble than it's worth if your just starting out. Research beginner plants that only need low light.

The light I have is extremely bright. Dont know what it is though be cause the bilb specifics were scratched off and I bought this tank new. And for the gbr's how do I tell the sex apart. My lfs just has a tank to choose from.

Also I am adding a liquid CO2 mix. I believe its flourish excel.

I don't know how to sex them but....If its a lfs and not a chain the staff might be able to know how to sex them...if not maybe try googling it because to be honest I don't know much about rams besides the fact they get aggressive while breeding

Thanks anyways. But do you think im overstocked? My filter is for a 55, but I want to make sure there is plaenty of room.

I don't know how to sex them but....If its a lfs and not a chain the staff might be able to know how to sex them...if not maybe try googling it because to be honest I don't know much about rams besides the fact they get aggressive while breeding

I know with bolivians that it is very controversial. One sex is more colorful, with a "chin" on the face. The other does not have a "chin" and is less colorful. The one with a chin has longer tail extensions as well. I believe the one with a chin is the female, but I have heard both.

Thanks anyways. But do you think im overstocked? My filter is for a 55, but I want to make sure there is plaenty of room.

I don't think you are overstocked, but I wouldn't add more except more shrimp.

Also I am adding a liquid CO2 mix. I believe its flourish excel.

Hate to tell you this, but you need at least DIY CO2 for hairgrass to do well. And you are gonna have lots of algae if it is a bright light.

The light I have is extremely bright. Dont know what it is though be cause the bilb specifics were scratched off and I bought this tank new. And for the gbr's how do I tell the sex apart. My lfs just has a tank to choose from.

You should post a pic of the light so someone can identify it.

Also, did you say you have soft water with a ph of 7.4? Do you live in North Carolina by any chance? I live there/here and that is exactly my tap params.

Haha no im Wisconsin. I used water from my shower. The pH is usually 7.9-8.3 here, but ive been using buffer tabs. Heres the picture

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130708_184104.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130708_184104.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 39
Back
Top Bottom