tank cycling help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melindapaolino

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Tank cycling problems?
Okay so I got a calico goldfish as a present and I went out immediately and bought a tank, an air bubbler, gravel, and a filter. I didn't want to keep him in his tiny carrying case so I immediately (and stupidly) put him directly in the tank with nothing in the water but water conditioner. Before I go on I just would like to point out that I have a 2.5 gallon tank for him, he is pretty small 2-3 inches. I have read a crap ton about how he needs to be up in a bigger tank, and I am going to get him one but for now I didn't have the space until around christmas. I feel really awful and I would really appreciate if people would be nice with their answers.

So anyway. I read about the cycling procedure and I was so worried about him, I read that you should do a 50% water change every other day to keep ammonia levels down, and I also read that you should do 10% water changes every day. I have been doing the 50% water change every day. The Ammonia levels int he tank are between the "safe" color and the "stressed color" as of this morning, but my poor little guy is gasping for air at the surface every so often, and it really worries me. My question is, how can I keep him alive as the tank cycles? How many water changes should I do a day/every other day/week while the tank is cycling. What are some products I can buy to help him survive? Please be nice :(

Thanks!

Tank cycling problems?
Okay so I got a calico goldfish as a present and I went out immediately and bought a tank, an air bubbler, gravel, and a filter. I didn't want to keep him in his tiny carrying case so I immediately (and stupidly) put him directly in the tank with nothing in the water but water conditioner. Before I go on I just would like to point out that I have a 2.5 gallon tank for him, he is pretty small 2-3 inches. I have read a crap ton about how he needs to be up in a bigger tank, and I am going to get him one but for now I didn't have the space until around christmas. I feel really awful and I would really appreciate if people would be nice with their answers.

So anyway. I read about the cycling procedure and I was so worried about him, I read that you should do a 50% water change every other day to keep ammonia levels down, and I also read that you should do 10% water changes every day. I have been doing the 50% water change every day. The Ammonia levels int he tank are between the "safe" color and the "stressed color" as of this morning, but my poor little guy is gasping for air at the surface every so often, and it really worries me. My question is, how can I keep him alive as the tank cycles? How many water changes should I do a day/every other day/week while the tank is cycling. What are some products I can buy to help him survive? Please be nice :(

Thanks!

It sounds like you are using test strips. First of all I'd drop those and go and buy a liquid test kit. Like an API master test kit. The strips are horrible inaccurate. Where it is saying the levels are ok they probably are not. This is probably why your fish is "gasping" at the surface. Sometimes that's a lack of air but you have filtration and a bubbler which makes me think it's you water that's the problem.

Test your water every day and anytime your ammonia or nitrite goes above .25 do a water change of about 30%. Goldfish are very messy and with such a tiny tank you are probably going to have to do more water changes than with a normal fish in cycle.

Next I'd look into trying to get something like Seachems PRIME. This is a water conditioner but what will make it really helpful for you is that it will help detox you ammonia for 24-48 hours which will help remove some of these effects your fish is feeling from the ammonia spike.

In the mean time make sure you are not over feeding your fish because this will add to the ammonia level in the tank.

If you haven't seen them already I recommend the posts that are pinned to the top of the forum. There are a few great articles you should check out and see what may apply to you.

Good luck!

I'd do 50% water changes daily, particularly if he's showing signs of stress. Don't forget dechlorinator; whatever you have on-hand is fine but try to get some Prime when you can. Does the tank have water movement at all or is it stagnant? Does it have a filter? What's the temp of the tank? A good in-tank thermometer might be a good idea: Top Fin® Floating Glass Aquarium Thermometer - Heaters & Accessories - Fish - PetSmart

Those in-tank ammonia alerts aren't very accurate. A good liquid test kit is really a must-have; the API Master is best.

As you know his tank is pretty small; not sure if he'll be ok in there until Christmas. You could look on your local Craigslist for a good used 20-30 gal that might be cheaper than buying new.

Reactions: jlk
Back
Top Bottom