Tank doesn't seem to be cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mcampau

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Before people jump all over me I know you can cycle the tank fishless but I believe in the tried and true methods.

I just set up a used 50 gallon freshwater tank. I cleaned the tank out thoroughly with fresh water only and scraped off some old algae with a razor blade. No chemicals were used in the cleaning process. I also rinsed out the approximately 50 lbs of gravel. After setting up the tank with plastic plants (thoroughly rinsed with cold water) I filled it with dechlorinated water and a dose of Jungle labs start zyne. After the temp stabilized for a few days and saw no leaks I put in 6 fish, 2 zebra danios, 1 cherry barb, 1 tiger barb, 1 sword tail, and 1 black skirt tetra. I have been monitoring the tank every day. So far it has had fish for 6 days and there has been no real change in ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates. Today ammonia is just a hair over 0, between 0 and 0.5. Nitrates and nitrites have always remained at 0. How long does it normally take for ammonia to peak? Is there anything I have done wrong? The fish appear extremely healthy and active.

It will take some time for the ammonia levels to build up, but because you are seeing some trace levels of ammonia that means that things have started in your cycle.

Predicting when it will peak is almost impossible. The more fish waste and leftover food gets generated, the faster it will rise. Once the levels start to get elevated (like they're doing now) the bacteria that feed on the ammonia will begin to show up and build up their colony. As they consume the ammonia, they'll produce nitrIte, and then the second type of bacteria that consumes the nitrItes will begin to build up.

Doing a fish-in cycle is a very long process (can take months) so just stick with what you're doing and PWC if your levels get too high.

Thanks for the response. From my research it sounded like I was proceeding in the right direction but I would much rather know for sure.

Yeah, you definately are. If you haven't already gained an understanding of the cycle, read our article linked in my signature to understand how it all works. Then you'll be able to see each step of the way and know what's going on.

I completely understand the process. It's just been a LONG time since I've done it. I didn't remember the time frame at all.

Neilan: I have a question, in a cycled tank, with no ammonia and no nitrites, the nitrates go up little by little, is it possible for the nitrates to go down (with no PWC)?
I don't have plants, just artificial ornaments, and I have seen the Nitrates fluctuate up and down sometimes.
Thanks for your answer

If you don't have plants or something that will specifically consume the nitrAtes, then most likely the fluctuations you're seeing are just resolution on our hobby grade test kits.

Lots of factors affect the results we get in our tests, like the temperature of the test regeant at the time of test, for instance. They're just hobby grade test kits, which work more than adequately for what we need, they're just not high precision kits is all.

Back
Top Bottom