Tank log/updates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Awesome thank you. I know I need to get a drop checker so that I can gather more data. I know that right now my co2 is way lower then it needs to be, but me gathering data keeps good logs and helps. I won't get to the point of getting 30ppm's till a get a better DIY or go with a solid co2 generator.

How are you getting the co2 reading? There was talk of using a titration test the other night so I have been looking into that as seemed pretty cheap.

Last edited:
The co2/ph/KH relationship only ever happens in a drop checker because the acid in the drop checker is carbonic acid and the KH is due to 100% carbonates.

The chart looks nice but you will be setting yourself up for a fall if you believe any of the data in it. Get a drop checker it a ph meter and plot a graph that achieves a 1 unit ph drop a couple of hours after lights and and thereon throughout the day and you will have much more success.

Good luck :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Day 16:

Nothing really going on which is why I haven't been updating.

Ammonia is hard to keep up now. I'm dosing it before I go to bed to find that it's at 0.25ppm when I wake up.

Nitrites are off the chart still.

Nitrates are slowly climbing it was 5ppm a few days ago and it finally hit 20ppm today.

I woke up a few mornings ago to find that I have algae spread over the bottom of my tank. I haven't decided if I want to keep it or not since I have no kind of substrate yet. I will clean it out before I add everything in my tank though. It seems where my tank is positioned, it gets a small amount of outside light in the evening. I most likely will be able to fix this once I put a backdrop on my tank.

My DIY co2 isn't working anymore (granted it was my first time with a DIY co2). I need to whip up a better batch however, my ph has been stable at 8.2 I have not started to doctor it yet till I decide on my stock, which I'll post here soon.

My Java fern has let off 8 babies In the time of two weeks, which is insane. That thing can produce! I've trimmed my swords to try and get them to grow bushier instead of taller even though my tank is tall I don't think I want my swords super tall.

Thank you all for your help. I have a drop checker on the way and I'm hoping to get my co2 back up and running before then.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Day 16:

Nothing really going on which is why I haven't been updating.

Ammonia is hard to keep up now. I'm dosing it before I go to bed to find that it's at 0.25ppm when I wake up.

Nitrites are off the chart still.

Nitrates are slowly climbing it was 5ppm a few days ago and it finally hit 20ppm today.

I woke up a few mornings ago to find that I have algae spread over the bottom of my tank. I haven't decided if I want to keep it or not since I have no kind of substrate yet. I will clean it out before I add everything in my tank though. It seems where my tank is positioned, it gets a small amount of outside light in the evening. I most likely will be able to fix this once I put a backdrop on my tank.

My DIY co2 isn't working anymore (granted it was my first time with a DIY co2). I need to whip up a better batch however, my ph has been stable at 8.2 I have not started to doctor it yet till I decide on my stock, which I'll post here soon.

My Java fern has let off 8 babies In the time of two weeks, which is insane. That thing can produce! I've trimmed my swords to try and get them to grow bushier instead of taller even though my tank is tall I don't think I want my swords super tall.

Thank you all for your help. I have a drop checker on the way and I'm hoping to get my co2 back up and running before then.

Glad things are going ok. Every time someone mentions Java fern I wonder why I don't have any in my tanks. Everyone seems to love it.

Glad things are going ok. Every time someone mentions Java fern I wonder why I don't have any in my tanks. Everyone seems to love it.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1468100798.860167.jpg

I love my Java fern. I have had this for at least 4 years and it was about 10 leaves on a twig when I got it. I have split it several times. I have lots of sprouts I am growing right now attached to rocks or wood. Once they are glorious I will send them off to new homes.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1468100972.851616.jpg

View attachment 287859

I love my Java fern. I have had this for at least 4 years and it was about 10 leaves on a twig when I got it. I have split it several times. I have lots of sprouts I am growing right now attached to rocks or wood. Once they are glorious I will send them off to new homes.

View attachment 287860

I think this is what my tank needs and I have a nice area for it at the back. I'm waiting for some aponogeton crispus red to fill this space but it's out of stock with my supplier. If it takes any longer to come in I'm going to use some Java fern.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1468197338.747991.jpg

Lol... Algae is loving my tank...any reason I should remove it now? Or can I keep it till I aquascape?

Could I put them in like a small tank with an air stone and heater?

Will me scrubbing the algae prior to aquascape not going to do anything?

Could I put them in like a small tank with an air stone and heater?

Will me scrubbing the algae prior to aquascape not going to do anything?

Yes you could put them on a small tank with a heater and give them a bit of light if you can.

No scrubbing won't do anything.

Ok I will see what I can do. They need an airstone correct?

So just an update today.

I came home to see the tank just murky as heck yesterday. Like green murky. Algae everywhere, and cloudy from a bacteria bloom I'm assuming. I grabbed a scrub pad and scrubbed the entire tank. Removing the algae. I then did a 90% water change and I filled everything back up. I re-dosed ammonia and went to bed. Got up this morning and tested the water. Nitrites are about 5ppm, nitrates are around 40ishppm, ammonia was low. So I re-dosed that and went to work. The algae looks like it's still there in tiny forms however I did purchase a tank on craigslist for $20 for 50gallons and I'm going to throw my plants in there while I black out my aquarium. Hopefully that will solve everything.

Just an update.

Nitrites and ammonia is about the same. I dose it and it disappears in 24 hours however my nitrites aren't going away as fast as they should. Any way to get this cycled jump started? After 3 week nothing has really changed regarding nitrates

Hey all so I know it's been awhile.

Basically I think I am in trouble because I came home from Denver and it's still reading the ammonia in the tank at 1ppm even after I dosed it up to 4ppm after I left. Earlier, the tank was converting the 4ppm of ammonia over night easily. Right now I am reading 1ppm of ammonia and 0 nitrite. Anyone want to comment on why after two days my ammonia has only dropped 3ppm when it was previously dropping 4ppm+ overnight?

The ammonia conversion has slowed down but has not stopped. Have you been monitoring the ph, kh, and gh? Perhaps the ph has dropped near or below 6. Nitrification can be affected by low ph.

The ammonia conversion has slowed down but has not stopped. Have you been monitoring the ph, kh, and gh? Perhaps the ph has dropped near or below 6. Nitrification can be affected by low ph.

Yeah looks like ph is around 6.4 from my normal tap water of 9.2 lol. Time for a water change.

That is quite a drop. Test your kh and gh if you have a test kit (also nice to have one). A lower kh can lead to ph fluctuations.

My KH is normally around 7-9 right now it's really low like 2-3

Back
Top Bottom