Tank log/updates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is quite low. What is it out of the tap (the KH)? Between 7-9 as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes. Ph of tap water is 9.2 and KH is usually 7-9

Params of my fish tank three days ago was 8.0ph and 6-8 KH. Or something around there.

Quick update.
Ph is rising 7.6 right now.

Seems to be going through ammonia quicker now. It's at 0.50 ppm this evening after a dose this morning. Nitrites are at 2-5ppm right now.

It's been a total of 30 days now. Really getting impatient it had looked like it was done or almost done when I had left for vacation.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Quick update.
Ph is rising 7.6 right now.

Seems to be going through ammonia quicker now. It's at 0.50 ppm this evening after a dose this morning. Nitrites are at 2-5ppm right now.

It's been a total of 30 days now. Really getting impatient it had looked like it was done or almost done when I had left for vacation.

You are still on schedule but should be anytime now.

Got up this morning and checked.
Ammonia is at 0.25 and nitrites are at 1.0. Ph isn't reading. It must of dropped last night. I'm doing a pwc right now

Just checked my tank today. Params are.

Ammonia :0
Nitrite : 1ppm
Nitrates : 80ppm
Ph: not even on the chart.

The ph is dropping over night. Any reason?
I'm doing a water change now.

Just checked my tank today. Params are.

Ammonia :0
Nitrite : 1ppm
Nitrates : 80ppm
Ph: not even on the chart.

The ph is dropping over night. Any reason?
I'm doing a water change now.

Don't worry about ph yet. I think your pretty much there now bud. How many days in total so far?

But the ph is dropping fast like it was in the 7s last night and this morning not even 6.0. It's day 35 right now.

What is the KH and GH readings? Appears that there is a lack of adequate buffers, thus the pH instability.

Yeah it does sound like there is little buffering capacity. So long as you water change this will help replenish it.

What does your water company say about your water if you can't test the carbonate buffering and general hardness.

Just an update today.

Ammonia:0 nitrites:5+ ph not reading. KH like one drop so...1.

I am doing water changes every day around 20% and then dosing the ammonia. I can't keep up with the ph drops what is happening?

For relevancy, my tap ph is 9+ out of the faucet. And the KH is somewhere between 5-8.

Just an update today.

Ammonia:0 nitrites:5+ ph not reading. KH like one drop so...1.

I am doing water changes every day around 20% and then dosing the ammonia. I can't keep up with the ph drops what is happening?

For relevancy, my tap ph is 9+ out of the faucet. And the KH is somewhere between 5-8.

Try putting some crushed coral in the filter. The nitrification process is very taxing on the alkalinity (KH) of the water which protects against ph drop.

Something like this 1ppm ammonia ---> nitrate = 7.14 ppm alkalinity.

You would be better buying a cheap ph meter online to give you the more accurate ph reading.

I use Ro/DI water and add minerals that are needed. But I also have a bit of crushed coral in my filter and it really works to stabilize the PH. Problem is it is sold in 10lb bags so you will have enough to last a lifetime. Lol

I use Ro/DI water and add minerals that are needed. But I also have a bit of crushed coral in my filter and it really works to stabilize the PH. Problem is it is sold in 10lb bags so you will have enough to last a lifetime. Lol

Although it's not really necessary I replenish the coral every now and then. Helps to justify the bag and gives me a little piece of mind.

Another status update.

I checked the water yesterday morning.
Ammonia 0, nitrates 0, ph just at 6.4.

I dosed last night and this morning readings ammonia 0.5, nitrite 0.5, and ph is not reading on the chart. Moving forward. What should I be doing as to keep my ph up and my ammonia converted?

Should I be dosing less ammonia and doing more water changes? Coral is a good idea however I don't know if I will be able to find it anywhere around here. I will look however what are the alternatives?

Thanks!

Baking soda should do the trick. Just have to play around with it a bit at a time. I honestly think you're cycles now. Your tank is getting through a lot of ammonia and your fish will be providing a stable source of ammonia that will easily be converted so it will never achieve the realms of what you are dosing to which means that the ph (with good weekly water changes) will not fall as dramatically.

So would I be able to lower my dosing and just do water changes and see if my cycle is actually finished?

I just tested the water. It looks like leaving it all day the nitrites have cleared up and everything is zero aside from the 160ppm of nitrates. So should I do a massive water change? Re-dose and prep for fish?

No need to re-dose you're done. Just do a big water change. Congrats ??

Even though I need to aquascape and go get fish? The fish most likely won't be in the tank till next week due to work and aquascaping.

Back
Top Bottom