Tank not cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddereckl

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone! So last month i was near the end of cycling my tank when i OD'd on ammonia and killed all my bacteria. I restarted my cycle and it has been 5 weeks and my ammonia isnt dropping at all. Any ideas whats wrong? Btw its a fishless cycle.

What are your exact numbers for ammonia & ph right now and what are you using to test them? What is the temp?

Have you done any water changes lately or during the 5 weeks? Did you change out anything in the tank, removing filter media, etc? How high did you overdose ammonia and how long was it at the higher level?

I'd do a 100% water change then retest ammonia, make sure it's 0 (if you didn't overdose it should be). Then dose only to 2 and let's see what happens.

thanks for the reply everyone! my ph is around 7.4. i didnt do a water change, although i did add more water. i dosed around 4 ppm

I would do a full water change. It's possible the minerals etc in the water are depleted and the bacteria could use some fresh ones. A water change can sometimes kick-start a stalled cycle.

Buy a bottle of Tetra Safe Start (250ml) and drop it all in the water if you have around 50gal tank . I'm using this as i'm also setting up a new tank but with fishes in it. Also i'm using Tetra Easy Balance to keep the PH in the region of 7.3-7.5.Also keep the water around 70F-85F to speed the cycle of bacterias.

I added water today and used Prime. Ammonia is at .25 and nitrites are around 0, a little bit darker than 0. im going to wait until ammonia reaches 0, then dose to 4

ddereckl said:
I added water today and used Prime. Ammonia is at .25 and nitrites are around 0, a little bit darker than 0. im going to wait until ammonia reaches 0, then dose to 4

Ok. You don't have to wait. What's ur nitrates reading?

Back
Top Bottom