Tank wont cyclec 30g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishfan556413

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all,

My new 30g tank wont cycle. Trying a fishless cycle..added fish food every other day and keep ammonia level at about 1ppm. Nothing happened for weeks..no nitrites or nitrates. Water was around 80 degrees. Few days ago i turned on heater and now temp is 82. Also recently started running light overhead. No water change since starting this 2 months ago. About 2 weeks ago i added filter material from my other tank in hopes to get this thing rocking to no avail. Still 1ppm ammonia. PH is 7. Tank currently has gravel and ornaments. Any suggestions would be much appreciated still fairly new to this hobby.

Hello all,

My new 30g tank wont cycle. Trying a fishless cycle..added fish food every other day and keep ammonia level at about 1ppm. Nothing happened for weeks..no nitrites or nitrates. Water was around 80 degrees. Few days ago i turned on heater and now temp is 82. Also recently started running light overhead. No water change since starting this 2 months ago. About 2 weeks ago i added filter material from my other tank in hopes to get this thing rocking to no avail. Still 1ppm ammonia. PH is 7. Tank currently has gravel and ornaments. Any suggestions would be much appreciated still fairly new to this hobby.

Hi - couple of ideas would be:

check ammonia test kit on bottled water or something that should give a different reading ie make sure test kit is working correctly (and not near expiry date).

Water change can sometimes help by adding needed elements / freshen water

seems like you know what you are doing but just wondering if you are adding any other ammonia source? Constant 1 ppm seems odd. Maybe try bottled ammonia?

2 months does seem getting too long. Ph and temp seem fine. What sort of filter (I assume that has been left as is)?

Back
Top Bottom