Temp at 92!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ord6531

Aquarium Advice Regular
My thermometer is reading 92. It's about an inch from the bottom, or top of gravel depending on how you look at it. The fish seem to be fine. They don't look distressed, but is this too high? I just ordered a new pump, becuase the one I'm using seems a little hot, and I think that is causing the problem, if it is a problem. Should I continue to run it? I was thinking about wraping the outlet with a bag of ice.

Ord6531 said:
My thermometer is reading 92. It's about an inch from the bottom, or top of gravel depending on how you look at it. The fish seem to be fine. They don't look distressed, but is this too high? I just ordered a new pump, becuase the one I'm using seems a little hot, and I think that is causing the problem, if it is a problem. Should I continue to run it? I was thinking about wraping the outlet with a bag of ice.

That seems too hot for fish... No doubt... What is the temp in the room your tank is in?? Make sure u have added aeration.

The temp in our house is around 68. When I feel the centrifugal cover, it's hot. ****.I have two aeration bubblers on both sides of the tank. Should I put ice on the outlet pipe?

Ord6531 said:
The temp in our house is around 68. When I feel the centrifugal cover, it's hot. ****.I have two aeration bubblers on both sides of the tank. Should I put ice on the outlet pipe?

If u think that will help cool it. U can also float ice in baggies in the water... That'll help. I hope u get it fixed soon :((

Ord6531 said:
Me too. Okay I'll try that. Thanks!

Yw ... I had air problems last week and I was stressing .... But mine wasn't quite that hot...

U can also let a fan blow across the top to aid in evaporation ( or so I've heard )

U can freeze bottles of water and float them as well ( lid tight of course )

Okay, I put a couple of sandwich bags full of ice on the outlet. I'm hesitant to place it directly in the water becuase I have two half beaks that stay on the top of the tank and I don't want to shock them.

Ord6531 said:
Okay, I put a couple of sandwich bags full of ice on the outlet. I'm hesitant to place it directly in the water becuase I have two half beaks that stay on the top of the tank and I don't want to shock them.

Ok :) let us know.... Hope that helps. Maybe someone more experienced than me will have some better advice for u soon....

Maybe I will try that too. My tank is almost to 90. It is at around 85, and it is night time. Gotta love Hawaii weather haha.

Ord6531 said:
The temp is down to 90... Hopefully it will continue to steadily drop. Thanks for your help.

Great :) good news for ur fishies

You could also use a fan to blow across the surface of the water. It will cool it, but at the expense of increased evaporation and that means frequent top-offs.

Ord6531 said:
It's down to 88. I think it still be a little hot? Not sure. The fish seem to be fine though. I will try the fan. Hopefully it stays down. Thanks for the tip.

What kind of fish do u have? I would try to get it to at least 82 ... 80 would be better.

Remember higher temps increase metabolism so your fish will be hungrier and also Remember waste is more toxic at higher temps and ph.

Im sure they'll be fine u are doing good.

I have a zebra angel, one common pleco, a rubber nose pleco, clown loach, knight goby, and for tetras.
I took moved some of the gravel away from the inlet, and it seemed to help a liitle. I think maybe the water circulation is better. It's down to 86 now.

Glad it is steadily going down. Hopefully with the ice and the fan, you will be able to get it down to at least 80*

Ord6531 said:
I have a zebra angel, one common pleco, a rubber nose pleco, clown loach, knight goby, and for tetras.
I took moved some of the gravel away from the inlet, and it seemed to help a liitle. I think maybe the water circulation is better. It's down to 86 now.

Angels actually like it about 80 so if u can get it there that would be a safe ground for a while :) glad it's going down for u

I had the same problem as you and I bought a small 6dollar fan at Walmart and put it blowing across the tank and it cooled it about 13° so its worth a try for you but results could be different. I have a 10g tank

So I just got back from the in laws, and the temp is back up to 92. The good news though, is that my new pump shipped today, so hopefully it will be here by Monday. I'll buy a fan tomorrow morning, but hopefully it doesn't go any higher.

Ord6531 said:
So I just got back from the in laws, and the temp is back up to 92. The good news though, is that my new pump shipped today, so hopefully it will be here by Monday. I'll buy a fan tomorrow morning, but hopefully it doesn't go any higher.

Just try and keep up the ice until then :)

Back
Top Bottom