The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And don't forget the dechlorinator and to match temps! Also, to answer you question from the PM...a Hail Mary pass is an American football term that's when you need to score a goal, the clocks running down and you've got 1 final play. You basically send your guys down the field, close your eyes, throw the ball as far as you can, say a Hail Mary and pray someone actually catches it. In soccer (real football IMO), it's kinda like pulling the goalie and sending him down the pitch for one final corner kick. And to what you said about wrapping Barca up in pads, I live and breathe Barca, but if you wrapped Busquets and Alves up in pads...they'd still probably flop around like a fish out of water any time you touched them, lol.

Let me know your results, see ya man.

That test was Nitrite (left) and Nitrate (right) lol ammo down to 0.6

I think your right about them 2 they would look better in a girls blouse than a football shirt

dont worry mate i am using dechlorinator not so much temps though is that the problem dude

That test was Nitrite (left) and Nitrate (right) lol ammo down to 0.6

I think your right about them 2 they would look better in a girls blouse than a football shirt

dont worry mate i am using dechlorinator not so much temps though is that the problem dude

Alright cool. How quick is it dropping the ammo down? That is a massive amount of no2 and no3 if you just did a big pwc.

Did you test ammo, no2 and no3 immediately after the pwc before you added more ammo? I'd be really interested in knowing those numbers. The fact that you've got that much nitrAte tells me you've got one heck of a bio-filter, we've just got to put the finishing touches on it.

Matching temps isn't the end of the world until you add fish, but any major swings in temperature can be damaging to the bacteria.

I'm gonna shoot you a PM.

Got the PM my friend cheers after the water change i did not test for about 2 to 3 hours after i was gob smacked to see them that high so soon so tomorrow i will get some more dechlorinator and do as you have said in the PM
Ammo dropping now within 24 hour again as far as i know if it tests clear later sould i add more if im going to do a water change

cichlidpaul said:
Got the PM my friend cheers after the water change i did not test for about 2 to 3 hours after i was gob smacked to see them that high so soon so tomorrow i will get some more dechlorinator and do as you have said in the PM
Ammo dropping now within 24 hour again as far as i know if it tests clear later sould i add more if im going to do a water change

Yeah, just do what I mentioned in the PM. I don't want to post it here, because I don't want a newbie to see this post and try it themselves since it's a different method. I've been working with you forever so we can try something new.

No worries mate and it has been a long time now hehehe i had a full head of hair when we started to talk on here (bold as a coot now) lmao

Hello again,

Just a quick query to anyone that could help. I have a 30G tank, started doing fishless cycling for 14days and there's still no trace of nitrIte showing. Amm is staying at 3-4ppm daily.

I haven't got any seeding materials available.

Is it just patience that I need? Does pwc help?

Thanks in advance.

Kawaipoon said:
Hello again,

Just a quick query to anyone that could help. I have a 30G tank, started doing fishless cycling for 14days and there's still no trace of nitrIte showing. Amm is staying at 3-4ppm daily.

I haven't got any seeding materials available.

Is it just patience that I need? Does pwc help?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Kawaipoon, you're at one of those awkward times where we can't tell if you just need a few more days, or if something is off. The two things I'd recommend would be to double check your test results. Are you using an API master kit? It'd be impossible for me to explain how many people make a mistake with that test kit and get false readings. Make sure you follow the instructions in the book that came with the kit..not just the instructions on the bottle.

The second thing would be to triple check your bottle of ammonia...is it Ace brand? Are you 100% sure it's pure? A lot of people at this stage who don't get a drop in ammo, find in tiny print on their bottle "contains surfactants and other additives". I'd look over the bottle one more time to make sure.

A PWC would most likely not be any help at this point because the water should still be full of buffers and nutrients the bacteria need. Those things are only used up once the bacteria really gets going, and you're unfortunately not at that point yet.

I'd double check the above things, and if everything checks out I'd just give it a few more days. Keep us updated!

cichlidpaul said:
Hi mate
2rds of the way though of refilling my tank all dechlorinated be turning filter back on soon and doing the tests

Hey man, don't dose it back up until you post your #'s

Hi Kawaipoon, you're at one of those awkward times where we can't tell if you just need a few more days, or if something is off. The two things I'd recommend would be to double check your test results. Are you using an API master kit? It'd be impossible for me to explain how many people make a mistake with that test kit and get false readings. Make sure you follow the instructions in the book that came with the kit..not just the instructions on the bottle.

The second thing would be to triple check your bottle of ammonia...is it Ace brand? Are you 100% sure it's pure? A lot of people at this stage who don't get a drop in ammo, find in tiny print on their bottle "contains surfactants and other additives". I'd look over the bottle one more time to make sure.

Hi Eco,

Thanks for reply,

I live in the UK therefore not ACE brand (ammonia). Im confident im doing everything correct (i.e Pure Ammonia and API master kit testing), as i also started a 5G tank the same time and thats seems to be halfway through cycle. I will be patient and hopefully see nitrItes showing soon!!

Thanks for advice.

Kawaipoon where about in UK

Just to let you know i would trust Eco and everything he says about cycling tank trust me im sure he has gills

Kawaipoon where about in UK

Just to let you know i would trust Eco and everything he says about cycling tank trust me im sure he has gills

Hi,

In London.

Yeah always trust Eco, been helping me with lots of questions already :)

Kawaipoon said:
Hi Eco,

Thanks for reply,

I live in the UK therefore not ACE brand (ammonia). Im confident im doing everything correct (i.e Pure Ammonia and API master kit testing), as i also started a 5G tank the same time and thats seems to be halfway through cycle. I will be patient and hopefully see nitrItes showing soon!!

Thanks for advice.

Yeah, sounds like you're on the right track...this tank is just a bit stubborn.

It'll slow the cycle of the first tank down a bit, but since you've got bacteria in there you can donate some of the filter media from the 5gallon to seed the bigger one.

And Paul, in honor of all your bucket carrying today I've switched over to the Aston Villa match...that's your club, right? Now you have to return the favor and cheer for Barca later today, lol.

I will give it a few more days, if no result. I will have to try that method. May need to come back and ask how.

Many thanks.

Well thank Eric im honored that you are watch the Villa lets hope you bring them good luck lol and sure if i can get Barca on tv i will watch them for sure and be cheering for you my friend

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom