The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
shammond15731 said:
Just a quick question, if I am going to have live plants do I want to put them in before or after the fishless cycle? Hoping to get this started in the next week or two.

I'm cycling a tank right now and one of the first things I put in were plants.

I wasn't sure if the whole cycling process would kill them or not, then I thought maybe they would help it by coming from an already cycled tank.

shammond15731 said:
I wasn't sure if the whole cycling process would kill them or not, then I thought maybe they would help it by coming from an already cycled tank.

The amount of bacteria on a plant from another tank is going to be minimal. Personally I would wait to put them in if I had an option. From all the research I've done on the subject, I've heard over and over that it's better to add the plants when the cycle is complete. As I said in a previous post, tons of people do it, so it wouldn't make anything impossible. From what I've gathered...plants compete for the nutrients the bacteria need to grow efficiently as well as absorbing and competing for the ammo (I didn't know until recently that plants ate ammo) but they won't eat nitrItes and can lead to skewed test results and a delayed cycling time.

Ok I think I will wait then don't want to prolong the cycle, I really can't wait to get the stock of fish that I have been thinking about!!

As with everything else in this hobby, there's numerous opinions on every topic. That being said, I have yet to hear a positive reason to have plants in during the cycle... I have only heard negatives.

If you were doing a fish in cycle, they would help to keep the water less toxic.

eco23 said:
The amount of bacteria on a plant from another tank is going to be minimal. Personally I would wait to put them in if I had an option. From all the research I've done on the subject, I've heard over and over that it's better to add the plants when the cycle is complete. As I said in a previous post, tons of people do it, so it wouldn't make anything impossible. From what I've gathered...plants compete for the nutrients the bacteria need to grow efficiently as well as absorbing and competing for the ammo (I didn't know until recently that plants ate ammo) but they won't eat nitrItes and can lead to skewed test results and a delayed cycling time.

I'm putting in brand new plants too, not just replants and they don't really compete with the bacteria from what I've learned. They use some ammo and I've never seen anything on bacteria using nutrients either during a cycle or in a seasoned tank. They do however provide a natural source of decaying media for the bacteria to feed on as it uses and discards various nutrients, co2, o2, etc. I guess it comes down to what works for you.

Mr. Limpet said:
I'm putting in brand new plants too, not just replants and they don't really compete with the bacteria from what I've learned. They use some ammo and I've never seen anything on bacteria using nutrients either during a cycle or in a seasoned tank. They do however provide a natural source of decaying media for the bacteria to feed on as it uses and discards various nutrients, co2, o2, etc. I guess it comes down to what works for you.

Yeah, I'm not saying it doesn't work. Simply if I had the choice...everything alive goes in after the tank is cycled. I'd take as many variables out of the equation as possible and do what's tried and true.

no wonder my tank took forever for the ammo lvl to come down, i have all my plants in the tank during the cycle! im taking them out, half of them have died already probably due to the fact there is alot of ammo in the water.

Pigeonfood said:
no wonder my tank took forever for the ammo lvl to come down, i have all my plants in the tank during the cycle! im taking them out, half of them have died already probably due to the fact there is alot of ammo in the water.

You were actually right on time. It dropped right when it was supposed to. I guess you're impatient just like I am, lol.

It's gonna take even more patience for the nitrAtes to show up then wait for things to 0 out... just warning you for the next couple weeks. Haha.

If i'm still sane after this cycle is complete it will be a miracle. When i went home for my lunch break from work, i still had the ammo test up and it looked like a 2ppm instead of 3ppm, when it hits 1ppm should i test for NO2 and NO3 or should i just top it back up to 4ppm instead and then test?

Pigeonfood said:
If i'm still sane after this cycle is complete it will be a miracle. When i went home for my lunch break from work, i still had the ammo test up and it looked like a 2ppm instead of 3ppm, when it hits 1ppm should i test for NO2 and NO3 or should i just top it back up to 4ppm instead and then test?

You're gonna end up in an asylum if you start testing for no2 and no3 already, lol. I know you Irish people are already crazy, but you'll be pushing the boundaries, haha. Maybe do a nitrIte test beginning of next week. Don't even think about nitrAtes until your no2 starts climbing. Just test ammo and pH for now.

And yeah, just dose it back up to 4ppm. And the API kits are only accurate at the 5 minute mark...anything before or after isn't the true number.

eco question.... i checked my ammo lvl like 20mins ago and it was at 1ppm so i topped it up, so me mr. curious decided to check my NO2 lvls and surprisingly they are 5ppm+, is this gd? bad? any incite on this issue plz sir?

Pigeonfood said:
eco question.... i checked my ammo lvl like 20mins ago and it was at 1ppm so i topped it up, so me mr. curious decided to check my NO2 lvls and surprisingly they are 5ppm+, is this gd? bad? any incite on this issue plz sir?

That's awesome news! Have you checked for nitrAtes?

Pigeonfood said:
no, should i?

Yeah! Go ahead and test! Things are moving along fast for you! If you see nitrAtes, you're gonna have to crack open another Bass, or Guiness, or whatever you drink. I'm drinking a scotch right now in your honor, lol.

Make sure you do the nitrAte test right. 90% of people don't shake the solution and the test tube long enough.

eco23 said:
Yeah! Go ahead and test! Things are moving along fast for you! If you see nitrAtes, you're gonna have to crack open another Bass, or Guiness, or whatever you drink. I'm drinking a scotch right now in your honor, lol.

Make sure you do the nitrAte test right. 90% of people don't shake the solution and the test tube long enough.

Be one of the 10%, like me!

Bettababe1011 said:
Be one of the 10%, like me!

I swear that every time someone lists their parameters and there's no nitrAtes...they're always either using strips or not shaking the #2 solution and the test tube for long enough. Every single day I see it, lol.

OK just checked the NO3 lvls and since its kinda hard to read it those lvls i would put my money on it been more 20ppm than 10ppm, so what ya think eco, this is good right, plz say yes cos im really wantin to swig the last of me absinthe lol

Pigeonfood said:
OK just checked the NO3 lvls and since its kinda hard to read it those lvls i would put my money on it been more 20ppm than 10ppm, so what ya think eco, this is good right, plz say yes cos im really wantin to swig the last of me absinthe lol

Bottoms up brother!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom