Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-20-2011, 09:57 PM   #161
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shammond15731
Just a quick question, if I am going to have live plants do I want to put them in before or after the fishless cycle? Hoping to get this started in the next week or two.
I'm cycling a tank right now and one of the first things I put in were plants.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:02 PM   #162
Aquarium Advice Activist

I wasn't sure if the whole cycling process would kill them or not, then I thought maybe they would help it by coming from an already cycled tank.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:16 PM   #163
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shammond15731
I wasn't sure if the whole cycling process would kill them or not, then I thought maybe they would help it by coming from an already cycled tank.
The amount of bacteria on a plant from another tank is going to be minimal. Personally I would wait to put them in if I had an option. From all the research I've done on the subject, I've heard over and over that it's better to add the plants when the cycle is complete. As I said in a previous post, tons of people do it, so it wouldn't make anything impossible. From what I've gathered...plants compete for the nutrients the bacteria need to grow efficiently as well as absorbing and competing for the ammo (I didn't know until recently that plants ate ammo) but they won't eat nitrItes and can lead to skewed test results and a delayed cycling time.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:20 PM   #164
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ok I think I will wait then don't want to prolong the cycle, I really can't wait to get the stock of fish that I have been thinking about!!
Old 04-20-2011, 10:22 PM   #165
Aquarium Advice Addict

As with everything else in this hobby, there's numerous opinions on every topic. That being said, I have yet to hear a positive reason to have plants in during the cycle... I have only heard negatives.

If you were doing a fish in cycle, they would help to keep the water less toxic.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:30 PM   #166
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco23

The amount of bacteria on a plant from another tank is going to be minimal. Personally I would wait to put them in if I had an option. From all the research I've done on the subject, I've heard over and over that it's better to add the plants when the cycle is complete. As I said in a previous post, tons of people do it, so it wouldn't make anything impossible. From what I've gathered...plants compete for the nutrients the bacteria need to grow efficiently as well as absorbing and competing for the ammo (I didn't know until recently that plants ate ammo) but they won't eat nitrItes and can lead to skewed test results and a delayed cycling time.
I'm putting in brand new plants too, not just replants and they don't really compete with the bacteria from what I've learned. They use some ammo and I've never seen anything on bacteria using nutrients either during a cycle or in a seasoned tank. They do however provide a natural source of decaying media for the bacteria to feed on as it uses and discards various nutrients, co2, o2, etc. I guess it comes down to what works for you.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:34 PM   #167
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpet

I'm putting in brand new plants too, not just replants and they don't really compete with the bacteria from what I've learned. They use some ammo and I've never seen anything on bacteria using nutrients either during a cycle or in a seasoned tank. They do however provide a natural source of decaying media for the bacteria to feed on as it uses and discards various nutrients, co2, o2, etc. I guess it comes down to what works for you.
Yeah, I'm not saying it doesn't work. Simply if I had the choice...everything alive goes in after the tank is cycled. I'd take as many variables out of the equation as possible and do what's tried and true.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:46 PM   #168
Aquarium Advice Freak

no wonder my tank took forever for the ammo lvl to come down, i have all my plants in the tank during the cycle! im taking them out, half of them have died already probably due to the fact there is alot of ammo in the water.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:52 PM   #169
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeonfood
no wonder my tank took forever for the ammo lvl to come down, i have all my plants in the tank during the cycle! im taking them out, half of them have died already probably due to the fact there is alot of ammo in the water.
You were actually right on time. It dropped right when it was supposed to. I guess you're impatient just like I am, lol.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:53 PM   #170
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's gonna take even more patience for the nitrAtes to show up then wait for things to 0 out... just warning you for the next couple weeks. Haha.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:00 PM   #171
Aquarium Advice Freak

If i'm still sane after this cycle is complete it will be a miracle. When i went home for my lunch break from work, i still had the ammo test up and it looked like a 2ppm instead of 3ppm, when it hits 1ppm should i test for NO2 and NO3 or should i just top it back up to 4ppm instead and then test?
Old 04-20-2011, 11:04 PM   #172
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
If i'm still sane after this cycle is complete it will be a miracle. When i went home for my lunch break from work, i still had the ammo test up and it looked like a 2ppm instead of 3ppm, when it hits 1ppm should i test for NO2 and NO3 or should i just top it back up to 4ppm instead and then test?
You're gonna end up in an asylum if you start testing for no2 and no3 already, lol. I know you Irish people are already crazy, but you'll be pushing the boundaries, haha. Maybe do a nitrIte test beginning of next week. Don't even think about nitrAtes until your no2 starts climbing. Just test ammo and pH for now.

And yeah, just dose it back up to 4ppm. And the API kits are only accurate at the 5 minute mark...anything before or after isn't the true number.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:14 PM   #173
Aquarium Advice Freak

eco question.... i checked my ammo lvl like 20mins ago and it was at 1ppm so i topped it up, so me mr. curious decided to check my NO2 lvls and surprisingly they are 5ppm+, is this gd? bad? any incite on this issue plz sir?
Old 04-21-2011, 10:28 PM   #174
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
eco question.... i checked my ammo lvl like 20mins ago and it was at 1ppm so i topped it up, so me mr. curious decided to check my NO2 lvls and surprisingly they are 5ppm+, is this gd? bad? any incite on this issue plz sir?
That's awesome news! Have you checked for nitrAtes?
Old 04-21-2011, 10:29 PM   #175
Aquarium Advice Freak

no, should i?
Old 04-21-2011, 10:35 PM   #176
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
no, should i?
Yeah! Go ahead and test! Things are moving along fast for you! If you see nitrAtes, you're gonna have to crack open another Bass, or Guiness, or whatever you drink. I'm drinking a scotch right now in your honor, lol.

Make sure you do the nitrAte test right. 90% of people don't shake the solution and the test tube long enough.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:45 PM   #177
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco23

Yeah! Go ahead and test! Things are moving along fast for you! If you see nitrAtes, you're gonna have to crack open another Bass, or Guiness, or whatever you drink. I'm drinking a scotch right now in your honor, lol.

Make sure you do the nitrAte test right. 90% of people don't shake the solution and the test tube long enough.
Be one of the 10%, like me!
Old 04-21-2011, 10:47 PM   #178
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettababe1011

Be one of the 10%, like me!
I swear that every time someone lists their parameters and there's no nitrAtes...they're always either using strips or not shaking the #2 solution and the test tube for long enough. Every single day I see it, lol.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:51 PM   #179
Aquarium Advice Freak

OK just checked the NO3 lvls and since its kinda hard to read it those lvls i would put my money on it been more 20ppm than 10ppm, so what ya think eco, this is good right, plz say yes cos im really wantin to swig the last of me absinthe lol
Old 04-21-2011, 10:52 PM   #180
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
OK just checked the NO3 lvls and since its kinda hard to read it those lvls i would put my money on it been more 20ppm than 10ppm, so what ya think eco, this is good right, plz say yes cos im really wantin to swig the last of me absinthe lol
Bottoms up brother!
Closed Thread

Tags
cycling, fishless, fishless cycling, guide

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com