The truth about diatoms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishperson

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been doing some research about diatoms and have found a lot of conflicting information. Some people say that it eats silicates. Some say it does not. Some say it does, but doesn't need it. I have heard many different things like this. Does anybody know the truth? And what is the best way to prevent it. Lower nitrates, light, feeding, all three?
Please help!

I think one of the only real truths about diatoms is that they tend to occur in new tanks, generally go away on their own, and look really gross until they do, even when you vacuum them out.

Yeah, thats what I have been thinking, but if they occur in new tanks and go away on their own, then why do people worry so much?

I did some searching around and found that the average amount of silica in my town's water is 3.44 ppm. The range is from <1 to 7.16. Unfortunately, that test was taken in 2004, so I don't think it helps. I could email the town to ask for a more recent water report. Will a 9 year old test not help me?
Does anyone know the silicates in their water? Is mine higher or lower or normal?

Yeah, thats what I have been thinking, but if they occur in new tanks and go away on their own, then why do people worry so much?

Because you go to bed one night and have this crystal clear water and pristine tank, and wake up to have all this brown, dusty looking stuff all over the place.

And if you're a real noob to fishkeeping, and not just starting another new tank - you freak.

And want to know how to make it go away.

And you get told it will on its own.

But it's everywhere!:eek:

I did some searching around and found that the average amount of silica in my town's water is 3.44 ppm. The range is from <1 to 7.16. Unfortunately, that test was taken in 2004, so I don't think it helps. I could email the town to ask for a more recent water report. Will a 9 year old test not help me?
Does anyone know the silicates in their water? Is mine higher or lower or normal?

I haven't the foggiest about mine.

I have six tanks and a planted bowl. Had diatoms in two of the tanks. Did my water changes like normal, and vacuumed what I could get at.

Then, one day (in each tank) they disappeared. Just like they appeared.

Not one of the things I stressed over.

Just like cloudy water with a bacterial bloom. Every one wants to do something to take it away and usually wind up doing more harm than good trying to get rid of it. They call it new tank syndrome for a reason.

Alright, that makes sense. The reason that I am asking this is because I was thinking, "if they burn themselves out after consuming all of the silica, then why don't we just let them grow and grow and grow so they burn out the silica really quick?"
I have never gotten chicken pox, but I will just wait it out.

That's what you should do with diatoms. I never tried to remove them in a new tank. I've always just left them alone and they've always gone away.

Diatoms and silicates ARE related, blooms can be very lengthy if there is a silicate-rich substrate in the tank such as playsand. It is still best to just ride it out though.

Ok, will just let it kill itself. Although, I have some friends coming over on the 17th, so can I wipe it off before then? I don't want the tank to look stupid.

You can wipe it, siphon it, and otherwise make the tank pretty. When I started my last tank I had it to some degree for six months. When I cleaned, it always looked nice for a few days and then it came back until it finally disappeared.

You can wipe it, siphon it, and otherwise make the tank pretty. When I started my last tank I had it to some degree for six months. When I cleaned, it always looked nice for a few days and then it came back until it finally disappeared.

^^This.

It vacuums up quite well.

Back
Top Bottom