Topping off versus water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OwduaNM

Aquarium Advice Activist
My house is very dry and causes my tank water to evaporate fairly quickly. How do I know when a water change is necessary over just adding water to too the tank off?

Should it be based on a hardness test or just based on nitrates?

Just based on nitrates. Recommended practice is 50% a week, but if you are to go by testing results, it needs to be kept under 20ppm NitrAtes at all times. Otherwise just top off as needed (always using a dechlorinator)

Tops Offs and Water Changes

My house is very dry and causes my tank water to evaporate fairly quickly. How do I know when a water change is necessary over just adding water to too the tank off?

Should it be based on a hardness test or just based on nitrates?

Hello Owd...

Generally, water changes should be done at least every 2 weeks, more often is better. 50 percent of the tank volume removed and replaced is needed to guarantee stable water conditions.

I have to top off my tanks just about daily. Mine are a little more open and there's quite a bit of evaporation.

Since I change so much tank water and change it so often, I don't need to test it. By following an aggressive water change routine, there's no time for toxins to build up in the water before the next large water change.

B

My plan is to change 40-50% weekly, unless my water parameters are off and require more frequent changes. I had to do quite a few daily water changes after I added fish due to a mini cycle plus excess food decaying in the gravel (from cycling my tank, I never cleaned it). So I am prepared to do as many water changes as it takes.

Thank you for your input!

Back
Top Bottom