Trouble cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeh-Jeal

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am new to this hobby and this forum and looking for some reassurance I'm doing things right. I've had my 37 gal bowfront aquarium for over 10 days doing a fishless cycle. I put in some ammonia I bought and its the right kind that has no soap. I added a whole bottle of quickstart because I heard you cant overdose a tank with beneficial bacteria. I test my water every other day and my ammonia has been 2 ppm every time. Am I doing this right? I'm trying to be patient but I heard with the quickstart I should be seeing signs in a week or so instead of taking months. Any advice is welcome hope I don't have to start over that would suck.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Aquarium Advice mobile app

First, did you use a dechlorinator in you water before adding QuickStart. Chlorine will kill BB.
Second, is your Ph above 7 and temp around 80 or above. Too acid or too cold will inhibit BB growth.
Third, and probably the most relevant, is don't believe the write up on bottled BB products. Most are not as efficient as they claim to be. A starter culture from some seeded filter material in your filter is by far the best way to go. Do you know of someone with a tank that can give you some old filter material.
I personally have never had any luck with bottled starters.
However, wait long enough and your tank will cycle eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks Scott yes I've used dechlorinator. I do have a high ph so I may have to get something to lower it. Unfortunately I don't have any friends with aquariums though I found out there is a local aquarium club I'm looking into so maybe I can get some seeded filters. I appreciate your help hopefully I will see results in the next week or so.

You just have to be patient tbh. Fishless cycling can take up to 2 months. If it hits the 1 month mark and there's no change in the ammonia then I would start to worry about it.

That's good thanks!

Hi JJ. Your Ph needs to be ideally over 7. Anything under 6.5 will inhibit BB. You probably don't need to lower your Ph.

Dont mess with the PH. High is fine and messing with it will only cause headaches down the road. With the ammonia, it takes a while to drop. Adding the Safestart without the fish doesnt seem to work well to be honest. Im doing a fishless cycle and did the ammonia route. It finally started going to 0 after 24 hours about 2-3 weeks in. Now I am dealing with nitrites which can take even longer. Its obnoxious to say the least, just a lot of waiting.

Ok thanks for the all the advice glad its nothong serious just some first aquarium syndrom. I can't wait to get some fish!

Hi JJ. The wait is worth it. It may be annoying to have to wait for your fish but not as upsetting as putting fish into an uncycled tank and watching them suffer. Be patient :)

My ammonia is down to 1 ppm! Wow who would of thought I would be so excited about the nitrogen cycle lol...now if those dang nitrites would start showing up lol.

Depending on what kind of tank you want, you could also add some easy live plants like Java Ferns. They may help speed up the cycle as well. Plus they don't need special lights.
Just tie or glue to wood or rocks or let them float.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep in mind that your tank will do much better over time if you try to let nature take its course rather than trying to adjust everything with chemicals! I have never had any success with bacterial supplements or pH adjusters.

Using plants, rocks, driftwood, etc. can help with pH. I also use crushed coral in my HOB filter to raise my pH as it is low from the tap. These also act as an awesome media for bacteria to grow.

Back
Top Bottom